Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Phantasy Star Online Dropbox Syncing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

wehdota

Hey everyone. I've been searching the forum for an answer to my question and haven't found a topic that's directly addressed it, so I'm posting here. My friends and I have been playing Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II via the GameCube emulator, using NetPlay for "local" co-op, as the official online servers have long been removed. We'd like to be able to play online while also playing our characters solo, so we had the idea of saving the memory card file to DropBox so it stays in sync for us.

Theoretically, this should work just fine, and it does to an extent. Whenever one of makes a change in single player mode and saves, the file is updated correctly and propagates to all of us. However, when we play via NetPlay and save to the synced file, it doesn't seem to work. Two test cases:

1. Player A makes a new character in offline mode NOT via NetPlay and saves it. Players B and C see the new character in their own single player offline game file. Great!

2. Player A launches NetPlay by himself, creates a character in offline mode, and saves it. Players B and C do not see the new character.

Is it possible that the netplay and non-netplay files are being saved in different places? I'm a bit stumped as to why this method of cloud syncing wouldn't be working.
Why don't you just use a private server to play online? You'll get to play full screen with the full UI, you'll be able to play quests, you'll be able to chat, and you can each have as many characters as you want without needing to transfer memory card files around.

wehdota

(09-13-2016, 06:29 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you just use a private server to play online? You'll get to play full screen with the full UI, you'll be able to play quests, you'll be able to chat, and you can each have as many characters as you want without needing to transfer memory card files around.

I think I'm going to look into hosting a private server, yeah. Wasn't aware that it was doable. Only just started looking into it yesterday.

Also, I found the error to our immediate problem—we never ticket "Write to Memcard/SD" at the bottom of the NetPlay lobby window. Doing that saved the data properly!
By "private" I mean unofficial server. You can still play on public servers with other people; you don't have to run your own.