Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Another noob CPU/GPU question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

johnnym

I originally spec'd my PC to run MAME but find myself more drawn to Dolphin recently and find my current set up a little lacking in some games. For New Super Mario Bros it works fine but for some corses on Mario Kart Wii it struggles with others and some places in Super Mario Galaxy it stutters baddly. My spec is

CPU i3 4130 (3.4GHz)
GPU Nvidia GT730 2GB
8GB RAM
Windows 10

In the settings I have this on D3D 12 (this seems to work better than 11) and internal resolution 2x native (720P)

While my CPU isn't the best it has OK dual core preformance but my guess is the GPU isn't the best if I want to run this at 720p (I would like 1080p if possible). Other than that I'm really enjoying Dolphin.

Any advice welcome Smile
You're right on the money. Your CPU is fine for the most part. That GPU is too weak. People find good results with the 750 ti

johnnym

(09-11-2016, 12:17 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]You're right on the money. Your CPU is fine for the most part. That GPU is too weak. People find good results with the 750 ti

Thanks, funnily enough I'm already eyeing up a 750 ti as I need a low profile card and there seem to be few in this package. I only got this card to run HLSL in MAME, but I guess it could be making it's way to eBay.
Yeah. 750 ti, 950, basically anything newer and "5" or higher in nvidia land will give you stellar results in Dolphin.

johnnym

Just got the 750 ti and things are much better. Mario Kart Wii runs perfectly at 1080p and Mario Galaxy only suffers form a little slow down in a very small percentages of places at 1080p. All is good, thanks for your help.
I hope you didn't overpay for it. The GTX950 and RX460 both cost around $110, and they perform 50% better than the GTX750 Ti. Realistically speaking, the GTX750 Ti is worth maybe $70-$80 new at this point.