Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Total Noob Here - How do I run Resident Evil 4 GC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Kensta1092

Good day ladies, gentlemen, dudes, gals, gamers, whoever. I'm a complete newbie at this, and decided to take a break from playing Resident Evil 4: PC edition (kinda frustrated a bit as this edition is locked on 30 FPS, this is not the new HD Remaster, it's the 2007 piss-poor PS2 port with patch 1.10). But anyways, I used to play RE4: GC edition several years ago when I was a kid and got my first Wii...

You might be asking, what happened to the Wii? Why can't I just use it instead? Long story short, I live in the PH, where power cutoffs come at complete randomness. You might have guessed it - all the televisions I used to play the Wii with are all destroyed because of these random power outages (Idk how, it just so happened they refused to turn on).

Now I was doing some research online, and someone suggested to play RE4 Wii/GC on PC with Dolphin. I dug up my RE4 case, inserted Disc A into my DVD drive, and now what? What do I do next?

[Image: e788e79b17.png]
Opening the DVD shows nothing at all and Windows insists to format the DVD, which, of course, I refuse to

Is it normal that Windows cannot read GC game discs? If not, could my DVD drive have gone bad over several months of not using? What can I do to remedy this, as Dolphin cannot run without being linked to the game?

I've read through the FAQs and didn't see anything regarding this issue, so I decided to put this up as a thread. I apologize if this has already been answered.

I look forward to your insights and solutions.
Most PC disc drives can't read GC/Wii discs at all. If you have one of the very few compatible drives, you need to use a specific program like Rawdump or Friidump to dump the disc. The only other option is to use a homebrew program running on a Wii to dump the disc. (It's also possible to do it on a GameCube, but that's much more complicated.) Either way, you can't run the game directly from the disc inserted in the disc drive, you need to dump it to a file first. Here are details on how to dump: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...ping_Games

Kensta1092

(09-10-2016, 10:36 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Most PC disc drives can't read GC/Wii discs at all. If you have one of the very few compatible drives, you need to use a specific program like Rawdump or Friidump to dump the disc. The only other option is to use a homebrew program running on a Wii to dump the disc. (It's also possible to do it on a GameCube, but that's much more complicated.) Either way, you can't run the game directly from the disc inserted in the disc drive, you need to dump it to a file first. Here are details on how to dump: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...ping_Games

Thanks for the informative reply. I had a feeling it wasn't my DVD drive going bad. I'll look into this - once again, thanks!