Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin in Xbox One (UWP & Win10)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey guys, I was wondering if now with news of UWP of Windows 10 and the possibility of publishing these apps for Xbox One Dolphin project would publish Dolphin in the Windows Store and the Xbox Store. Will see the emulator Dolphin Xbox One in the future? Say me yes please. Thank you and best regards.
There are no plans from what I know of. I doubt there will be any interest in the near future. Maybe in an alternate timeline perhaps...
Thank you Shonumi for you reply Wink

The truth is that I saw it as a possibility, because with the UWP for Windows 10 sooner or later the project must fit through Visual Studio and the SDK for Windows 10, and since Xbox One runs on Windows 10 would be a logical step and with minimal effort. Wink
Even if Dolphin were to go to the Xbox One, the Xbox One is comparable to a low-mid range PC these days. I mean, just look at all of the budget gaming PC builds that are out there that surpass the 8th gen consoles! It would definitely be ok for most games, but it's not powerful enough for demanding games.
I remember you that at the end of 2017 comes the Xbox Scorpio and also comes with Windows 10. In addition, Xbox One is powerful to run Dolphin with GameCube and Wii games without breaking a sweat. Wink
(09-05-2016, 08:36 AM)softwaregnu Wrote: [ -> ]In addition, Xbox One is powerful to run Dolphin with GameCube and Wii games without breaking a sweat. Wink

Nop
(09-05-2016, 08:31 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Even if Dolphin were to go to the Xbox One, the Xbox One is comparable to a low-mid range PC these days. I mean, just look at all of the budget gaming PC builds that are out there that surpass the 8th gen consoles! It would definitely be ok for most games, but it's not powerful enough for demanding games.

(09-05-2016, 09:01 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Nop

I know that emulation is not easy and that depending on the hardware to emulate may require greater efforts in today's computers, but you're telling me that a computer that emulates the Xbox 360 and improves performance twice FPS can not emulate the Gamecube and Wii? I do not believe it.

Example: Call of Duty 2 Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofm9JAh0DAM
And Red Dead Redemption: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOblvcRXwIs
It doesn't really emulate the Xbox 360, it's recompiled code from the source code, or at least hand optimised emulation code.

The Xbox One has an 1.75 Ghz amd cpu. You would be lucky to play new super mario bros at full speed with that. If the cpu for the Xbox Scorpio was based on the new zen architecture AND if it was clocked higher AND you would actually get access to that, then you could play many games at full speed, but far from all games. If there were zero other issues, see below.

You also have to consider that UWP on Xbox has some restrictions. I can't tell what problems those are going to cause. There's at least  a RAM limit of 1 GB. If it doesn't allow to allocate, but not use, more RAM, it's going to be a problem. Dolphin uses some weird tricks, which might not work. Also, there are likely to be restrictions to just-in-time compilers. If those don't work, you have to use interpreter. Turn JIT off in Dolphin and see what that means.

There are some APIs that are just not supported on Xbox, like the Bluetooth and the HID API. This likely means no native wiimote support, and some trouble for controllers. But but not least, Dolphin is not an UWP app. I don't know what restrictions come with that for app developers, but i doubt it's anything good for emulator developers. Like, can you even develop something for Xbox that microsoft doesn't want there?

Other than that, it would be interesting to see how far Dolphin would get there. But it wouldn't really be for practical reasons, like the iOS build.
(09-05-2016, 09:30 AM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't really emulate the Xbox 360, it's recompiled code from the source code, or at least hand optimised emulation code.

The Xbox One has an 1.75 Ghz amd cpu. You would be lucky to play new super mario bros at full speed with that. If the cpu for the Xbox Scorpio was based on the new zen architecture AND if it was clocked higher AND you would actually get access to that, then you could play many games at full speed, but far from all games. If there were zero other issues, see below.

You also have to consider that UWP on Xbox has some restrictions. I can't tell what problems those are going to cause. There's at least  a RAM limit of 1 GB. If it doesn't allow to allocate, but not use, more RAM, it's going to be a problem. Dolphin uses some weird tricks, which might not work. Also, there are likely to be restrictions to just-in-time compilers. If those don't work, you have to use interpreter. Turn JIT off in Dolphin and see what that means.

There are some APIs that are just not supported on Xbox, like the Bluetooth and the HID API. This likely means no native wiimote support, and some trouble for controllers. But but not least, Dolphin is not an UWP app. I don't know what restrictions come with that for app developers, but i doubt it's anything good for emulator developers. Like, can you even develop something for Xbox that microsoft doesn't want there?

Other than that, it would be interesting to see how far Dolphin would get there. But it wouldn't really be for practical reasons, like the iOS build.

Hello mimimi, you have given an excellent response and has solved many of my doubts about the process of emulation xbox 360 xbox one, even as it improves FPS.

The truth is I did not know all the limitations of UWP you mentioned. Dolphin would not support some features in Xbox One currently does support is evident as Bluetooth hehe.

Thinking about the future and the Xbox Scorpio will be much more powerful and will come with Windows 10 should be an option for the future of Dolphin. I do not think Microsoft put trouble, has since unified digital stores and currently available in your store other emulators (older than Gamecube and Wii emulators). see https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/search/r...&form=apps

I'm using Dolphin for some years, like other emulators, and perhaps it would be advisable to establish a communication channel with Microsoft on these limitations and their current policy and in the future on the feasibility of having emulators on your Windows family and Xbox (because they want to unify all with their pros and cons). I'm just a user who wants to enjoy Dolphin on your console as it has always been doing on your PC Smile

Thank you all for taking a few minutes to respond specifically mimimi for their concrete and you wise words. Wink
Additionally, there is a world of difference between an emulator built by the company that designed the hardware with full knowledge and documentation, and an emulator that has none of that.

Lastly, Dolphin uses two hard working threads. Not 8. The Xbone is powerful when you look at end results, sure. But all of those games are using engines that are designed to use the 8 threads effectively.

An emulator that doesn't have access to the hardware documentation or knowledge that Nintendo does can't reasonably emulate that well considering Dolphin uses 2 hard working threads (CPU emulation thread and GPU), not 8. 8 crap cores working together is a lot better than 2 crap cores.

This isn't even considering the fact that, like Mimimi said, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't allow JITs to be used. In that case, you're not getting above single digit framerates in most games.
Pages: 1 2 3 4