Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Whenever playing Dolphin 5.0, It slows down my cpu clock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I usually have my laptop set to performance mode, and under normal use it hangs around 2 to 2.4 GHz. HOWEVER whenever I use Dolphin it slows my clock speed to as much as 1.36 GHz! Is there any explanation for this, because it should stay at 2.00 GHz at all times.

Specs: AMD A8-64110 APU With AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, GPU Clock 800MHz, CPU 2.00 GHz (2.4 turbo)
8GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz
Could you check the CPU temp with Coretemp? Does it stay cool under load ?
This is an apu, which might have a power limit for cpu and gpu combined. Since Dolphin pushes both to the max, it hits the limit and throttles. That, or your cpu is overheating.
No, it usually doesn't even try to throttle, and even under heavy load (I.E. playing modern games like DooM 4) it still stays up there, to at least 2 to 2.4 ghz. It's just whenever I play dolphin it happens.
Playing modern games is not the same as Dolphin. PC games will push the GPU heavily but not so much on the CPU, where Dolphin will heavily push the CPU and the GPU.
I tried Dolphin on A10 6790k , Turbo Core didn't work at all .
Perhaps you should disable it and set multiplier = 24 if possible . In my case , Turbo Core Off made Dolphin run a bit faster
This might be AMD issue because Intel Turbo Boost works just fine with Dolphin
(09-04-2016, 04:24 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried Dolphin on A10 6790k , Turbo Core didn't work at all .
Perhaps you should disable it and set multiplier = 24 if possible . In my case , Turbo Core Off made Dolphin run a bit faster
This might be AMD issue because Intel Turbo Boost works just fine with Dolphin

Actually, since this is a laptop, there is no overclock or turbo mode. All it is is just the turbo performance mode pushes it to. Even while off it still does the same thing.

User0001

I'm not sure if this is the problem but did you check the switchable graphics configuration for Dolphin in CCC?
(09-06-2016, 04:46 AM)CDI Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if this is the problem but did you check the switchable graphics configuration for Dolphin in CCC?
Yes, I've tried nearly everything to get it to stop but it still does the same thing. I can take a short video of it if I need to.