Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 Not displaying games in 16:9
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

william_homyk

I have been running dolphin 4.0-4061 for the last year or two and today decided to update to 5.0 for Netplay.
All of the video settings seem to have transferred but GameCube games no longer run in 16:9 full screen. No matter what settings I try they seem to be stuck in 4:3 format.

Here are the video settings with both versions of dolphin. The only thing I changed was the IR which Dolphin increased the max from 2560x2112 to 3840x3168.

[Image: WlMKcpr.jpg]

[Image: xRhr7iO.png]

Are there new settings with 5.0 that are affect the ability to change games to widescreen 16:9? This only seems to happen for Gamecube games. N64 /SNES / NES games all display in 16:9 widescreen format.
I'm going to assume that you want to stretch the output of games to 16:9, not use widescreen hacks so that more of the image is rendered. If that's wrong, please tell me.

You may be affected by the new aspect ratio calculation accuracy improvements. As an example, Super Smash Bros. Melee is a game that is more narrow than 4:3 on a console. When using the default settings, Dolphin 4.0 displays it in exactly 4:3, but Dolphin 5.0 displays it like on console. Using the Force 16:9 option will stretch the aspect ratio by (16/9)/(4/3), so the resulting picture be more narrow than 16:9 because it was more narrow than 4:3 originally.

Try changing Aspect Ratio to Stretch to Window if you want the image to fill the whole screen/window. You can also try enabling Crop in Advanced.

william_homyk

(09-01-2016, 08:09 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to assume that you want to stretch the output of games to 16:9, not use widescreen hacks so that more of the image is rendered. If that's wrong, please tell me.

You may be affected by the new aspect ratio calculation accuracy improvements. As an example, Super Smash Bros. Melee is a game that is more narrow than 4:3 on a console. When using the default settings, Dolphin 4.0 displays it in exactly 4:3, but Dolphin 5.0 displays it like on console. Using the Force 16:9 option will stretch the aspect ratio by (16/9)/(4/3), so the resulting picture be more narrow than 16:9 because it was more narrow than 4:3 originally.

Try changing Aspect Ratio to Stretch to Window if you want the image to fill the whole screen/window. You can also try enabling Crop in Advanced.

Yeah I didn't have the widescreen hack on 4.0 I just had force 16:9/ use full screen settings turned on. I'm just looking to stretch the output to 16:9 full screen like it was in 4.0.
Idk if having a 4k monitor has anything to do with it. I'll mess around with the settings and get back to you but if its these new accuracy measures I may be screwed lol. I just like the way it looks fullscreen without black bars on the side.
Enable crop and force 16:9 works.
Better yet, you can use "stretch to window," which acts like the old behavior if you have a 16:9 monitor.

william_homyk

Thank you guys for the suggested fixes. Both stretch to window and crop fix the problem. I should have looked a little harder on this forum to see if anyone else had this issue since
this person seemed to have the same issue with Dolphin 5.0 rendering GameCube games in odd aspect ratio's.
That's not an issue with Dolphin, it's the intended behavior of the games.