Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolby Pro Logic II with Xonar DGX & Headphones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to use virtual surround sound with my headphones. These headphones do not have a receiver for decoding Dolby Pro Logic II stereo audio, used by certain GameCube games to provide surround sound.

The Xonar DGX sound card comes with Dolby Headphone, a virtual surround sound codec that supposedly can decode a Dolby Pro Logic II stereo signal according to Dolby.com.

Can I use the Xonar DGX sound card with the Dolby Pro Logic II stereo signal output by Dolphin? Will it produce imitated surround sound with my headphones using the DGX's Dolby Headphone software?
I thought you just needed to use the OpenAL audio backend and check the "Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder" box, or is this something different
The stereo signal coming from Dolphin has Dolby Pro Logic II encoded.

For those without a decoder, the "Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder" option can be selected so that Dolphin sends the audio signal to the sound card in 5.1.

For those with a decoder (like Dolby Headphone), the Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder option within Dolphin should be switched off.

The audio cannot be double decoded.
(08-27-2016, 01:50 PM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]The stereo signal coming from Dolphin has Dolby Pro Logic II encoded.

For those without a decoder, the "Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder" option can be selected so that Dolphin sends the audio signal to the sound card in 5.1.

For those with a decoder (like Dolby Headphone), the Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder option within Dolphin should be switched off.

The audio cannot be double decoded.

Right, so I definitely can't do something like...enable Pro Logic II, then have Dolby Headphone translate that into virtual surround sound. I was afraid of that.

Thank for answering, no need to bother with a sound card at all then.
(08-28-2016, 02:44 AM)extherian Wrote: [ -> ]Right, so I definitely can't do something like...enable Pro Logic II, then have Dolby Headphone translate that into virtual surround sound. I was afraid of that.

You can't do that if you enable Dolphin's decoder, but you can do it if you disable Dolphin's decoder. Basically, you need to have exactly one decoder, no more and no less.