Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dynamic Super Resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently revisiting lots of older games after having recently discovered DSR and have been amazed at how much this method can improve the look of them.. I know you can set the internal resolution in Dolphin was just wondering if DSR can do the same (shh better) job at less of a GPU performance cost? 
(08-22-2016, 08:22 AM)miseryguts Wrote: [ -> ]I'm currently revisiting lots of older games after having recently discovered DSR and have been amazed at how much this method can improve the look of them.. I know you can set the internal resolution in Dolphin was just wondering if DSR can do the same (shh better) job at less of a GPU performance cost? 

I don't think it would even affect it to be honest. Without changing the internal resolution, the games will still be their original resolution no matter how much you increase the fullscreen resolution.
DSR is meant for PC games, so it probably won't work on Dolphin at all. The article says that it's intended for games that can already do 1920x1080, so it's probably targetted at newish games that already support rendering at multiple resolutions. Dolphin's internal resolution setting does the same thing as DSR, so the lack of support doesn't matter.
It works, it's just redundant. Dolphin already has what DSR does built in. It's called SSAA. Super Sampling Anti Aliasing.

Graphics > Enhancements > Anti-aliasing > Set it to one of the SSAA values. Done.

2x is a fairly safe option if your GPU is okay and looks really good. 4x is only achievable on higher end GPUs and doesn't look too much better, and 8x is overkill on everything and difficult to run.

DSR is mostly there for games that don't support SSAA. It's just a way to make it happen in drivers.
So... DSR is just nVidia's cute name for the SSAA options you've been able to force on old games through nVidia Inspector for ages?
for the most part, yes.

It also lets you fiddle with a smoothness slider that affects the filter but... yeah it's SSAA for games that don't support it.
That is being extremely vague and unfair to DSR. Yes, the end result is something very similar to SSAA (almost identical) but the catch is, simple SSAA doesn't work in modern games, and this is not Nvidia's fault. It's the game engines and deferred rendering that prevent it from functioning properly. DSR is an extremely nice way of brute forcing it no matter what engine or renderer you are using, and for the most part it works just fine. The only time it's a bit of a problem is usually with font and HUD scaling improperly due to the game never being designed for that kind of resolution to begin with.

That said, Dolphin does NOT do any downsampling on it's own. If you don't use SSAA, your only alternative to getting reduced aliasing and the higher quality texturing is to use DSR combined with matching EFB scaling. If your resolution is 3840x2160 with DSR, you should use 6xIR EFB. You can get away with 5xIR if you respect 4:3 aspect ratios since all the horizontal resolution is needless at 3840x2160. The real resolution to look at is the vertical, and in this case even 5xIR is overkill for 2160 vertical pixels.
So, exactly what I said?
(08-30-2016, 12:39 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]So, exactly what I said?

Not quite. Although the effective output is equivalent, the method is different than true SSAA. This article explains http://techreport.com/review/27102/maxwe...n-explored
That article says "DSR is not SSAA!!!!"

And then goes on to describe basically what SSAA does, just in a way the driver can control.

DSR renders the scene at a higher resolution, then blends when downsampling to get a better result.

SSAA renders the scene at a higher resolution, then blends when downsampling to get a better result.

The funny thing here is that the writer does seem to understand what SSAA does, but doesn't understand that DSR is doing the same thing. It's appeal is that it works in every game ever.