Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 Stable Release - Stuttering Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So, ever since I installed a new graphics card (MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G), all the games I've been playing started to stutter. A lot. I used to use a NVIDIA GTX 1070 Founders Edition and that worked amazingly well on Dolphin and games ran superbly well. I can't seem to find out the reason why this is happening now on an even better video card. Anyone know a solution? Sad

And yes, I've checked my NVIDIA settings and I have set the "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance". The drivers are updated, as well.

Here are my specs:

Operating system: Windows 10 Home x64
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz (OC'd to 4.40GHz)
Graphics card: MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Gaming X
RAM: 32GB
That must be because of shader complication. Updating Dolphin, your GPU or the NVidia driver resets (invalidates) your shader cache. So try to play a bit longer with your new GPU to remake the shader cache. Once that is done, the stuttering should be gone unless you update Dolphin, your GPU or NVidia driver again. As long the shader cache is in the progress of creating itself, you get these microstutters.

Shader cache must be made for each game individually. Unlike native PC games where shaders can be compiled ahead of their time, Dolphin can not do so. This is not an issue with Dolphin itself but with the nature of emulation. You might want to keep an eye for the Ubershaders update for Dolphin through. It has received quite some attention on the forums already and should resolve this issue.

I guess you have been using Dolphin 5.0 and not the development builds right? And you have been using Dolphin 5.0 for the past month without updating Dolphin, your GPU or NVidia driver right? That should confirm the issue I suppose.
(08-15-2016, 04:29 PM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]That must be because of shader complication. Updating Dolphin, your GPU or the NVidia driver resets (invalidates) your shader cache. So try to play a bit longer with your new GPU to remake the shader cache. Once that is done, the stuttering should be gone unless you update Dolphin, your GPU or NVidia driver again. As long the shader cache is in the progress of creating itself, you get these microstutters.

Shader cache must be made for each game individually. Unlike native PC games where shaders can be compiled ahead of their time, Dolphin can not do so. This is not an issue with Dolphin itself but with the nature of emulation. You might want to keep an eye for the Ubershaders update for Dolphin through. It has received quite some attention on the forums already and should resolve this issue.

I guess you have been using Dolphin 5.0 and not the development builds right? And you have been using Dolphin 5.0 for the past month without updating Dolphin, your GPU or NVidia driver right? That should confirm the issue I suppose.

Ubershader? You mean this one? https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3163
Yup that one. Keep in mind, it is still in development. As I said you could keep an eye out for it. The Ubershaders pull page also nicely explains a bit on how shader complication works on Dolphin.
I kinda wish there was a way to clear shader cache. X'P
(08-15-2016, 05:58 PM)Nyaako Wrote: [ -> ]I kinda wish there was a way to clear shader cache. X'P

Why would you ever want to do that, though?
(08-15-2016, 05:08 PM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Yup that one. Keep in mind, it is still in development. As I said you could keep an eye out for it. The Ubershaders pull page also nicely explains a bit on how shader complication works on Dolphin.
I'll keep an eye on it, I guess.
(08-15-2016, 06:11 PM)Ivybridge11 Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you ever want to do that, though?
I dunno. Maybe to start over from scratch?
Just delete the cache file if you really want to start from scratch. In most cases, though, there is no reason to do that (unless it becomes corrupted, or causes issues).
(08-15-2016, 10:25 PM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Just delete the cache file if you really want to start from scratch. In most cases, though, there is no reason to do that (unless it becomes corrupted, or causes issues).

And where would that be?
(08-16-2016, 12:05 AM)Nyaako Wrote: [ -> ]And where would that be?

Open Documents, then go to Dolphin Emulator/Cache/Shaders/. Delete the entire Shaders folder if you want to, or you can delete single files if you know which one corresponds to which game.
Pages: 1 2 3