Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 Running Slower for no reason
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so I've been using Dolphin since 4.0. When dolphin 5.0 came out, I saw the video, and was ecstatic! I upgraded and booted it up and everything ran twice as well as before. I was actually able to run Xenoblade Chronicles with the HD Retexture at 2x Native with the D3D12 renderer. I was able to play games and make them look pretty nice, which I loved.

Until last Tuesday. Last Tuesday, after not touching Dolphin for a couple of weeks, I ripped my Mario Kart Wii disc and made an iso. I booted it up in Dolphin and, to my surprise, it wasn't working very well. Not even 30fps in a 60fps game- every menu and sound lagged me. I thought it was pretty odd, so I booted up XBC as a benchmark, just to make sure everything was running. And, well, it wasn't doing so good. It was getting 20 fps with no HD texture pack at 1x native in a small, non-fullscreen window. I tried every Renderer, and nothing worked. Actually, I could put it to 3x native with some antialiasing and it ran just as awfully, which didn't sound right to me. So, after fiddling, I ended up changing my audio backend, and it worked spectacularly. Yay! So I played and went to bed.

Cut to wednesday. I booted it up, and Dolphin was pulling the same nonsense again. I changed everything, including the audio codec (and mind you, no updates had installed and no settings had been changed since I last played). I plugged my laptop into my PC and unplugged it- and it fixed it. Somehow. It started running fine again. HD Texture Pack at 2x native with D3D12 at full speed in Xenoblade (Note: I tried all my roms as well, it wasn't just Xenoblade, everything was running similarly, but I use XBC to benchmark). Not sure why that would fix anything, but I wasn't questioning it.

Cut to Thursday. Dolphin yet again was acting up I tried changing every possible setting (again, NO updates or settings changes since the previous day). So I said screw it, and reinstalled.
Everything worked, but ONLY after I backed up, deleted, and restored my Dolphin Emu documents folder (I had to let it regen it, then I restored. If I just left it there nothing worked). "FINALLY!" I thought, because it was working. "Surely that fixed it."

Cut to today. Dolphin pulled the same thing. Reinstalling did not help. I tried deleting every single Dolphin related file, registry key, shortcut, EVERYTHING, and it still wasn't running as it was before. I still can't figure it out- for the time I'm running Dolphin 4.0 until I can get some help, and 4.0 is working as it had been before, but not as good as 5.0 did upon the times I could get it to work.

I have no viruses and have had Dolphin on high priority every time. I have no idea what to do at this point. Could anyone help, or at least put me in contact with someone that could?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Ninja Edit: I own and rip every game I emulate myself
Are you using a laptop and is it plugged in/set to high power?
(08-14-2016, 01:27 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using a laptop and is it plugged in/set to high power?

Yep. Always when I'm gaming
Did you make sure that you have a high performance profile for Dolphin in Nvidia Control Panel set to high performance power usage?
(08-14-2016, 05:53 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Did you make sure that you have a high performance profile for Dolphin in Nvidia Control Panel set to high performance power usage?

Yep.
Make sure Windows Defender or windows update, or some other program in the background isn't scanning your disk or using up all your disk activity, I know this can cause similar style slowdowns on a computer that normally runs games just fine.
Also make sure your CPU or GPU isn't overheating and throttling itself to lower clock speeds.
(08-14-2016, 06:21 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure Windows Defender or windows update, or some other program in the background isn't scanning your disk or using up all your disk activity, I know this can cause similar style slowdowns on a computer that normally runs games just fine.
Also make sure your CPU or GPU isn't overheating and throttling itself to lower clock speeds.

Positive on the first half, and HWMoniter tells me my CPU/GPU temp is lower than when I normally play games through something such as Steam or Origin.

Also, thanks for taking the time to reply and helping me work through this. Whether it's solved or not, I appreciate the time Smile
Can you open Nvidia Inspector when playing Dolphin to verify that the GPU is staying in high performance mode?
(08-15-2016, 12:41 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Can you open Nvidia Inspector when playing Dolphin to verify that the GPU is staying in high performance mode?

Where does it display the performance mode?