Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Directx 12 crashes immediately in stereo 3D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(08-29-2016, 12:20 PM)Megapsychotron Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting... so it worked for you with a previous Nvidia driver? The Issue tracker on this problem that someone else put up, that guy couldn't get it working with any version of Dolphin. Do you recall what driver you were using? You can still download the old driver. I'd like to know so I can test it out myself. My HTPC doesn't play super modern games (newest game on there is Windows version of Killer Instinct), and was really purpose built for Dolphin, so if I can get it working with an older driver (I'm also using a GTX 970) I'd happily make the switch.

I'd say I hadn't updated my drivers in about a month, so whatever version of drivers was out early july. It's been making me crazy that it used to work so good...
I went all the way back to 353.54, which is the version that Windows 10 automatically applies when I uninstall the Nvidia drivers. Still no go. I wonder if the Windows 10 Anniversary update broke something? Or perhaps you might have been mistaken about it ever working with Dx12 before? It would be nice if some AMD owners could chime in here.
Tested on windows 10 1511 and gtx 1060 and it crashes. (I had norton preinstalled by driver disk and it blocked windows defender updates which blocked windows updates).

New driver downloading though
SAME!!! Sad

sorry to be melodramatic I just LOVED performance in twilight princess directx12 3d (side by side. 3d vision dx12 never worked. sbs did). I took a screenshot of the dolphin version I was using when I made my most recent twilight princess configuration where directx12 worked. it was version 4.0-9440. not sure what graphics driver I was using but I can also confirm it broke some time around july 2016 (just before anniversary update). I too considered past dolphin revisions, graphics driver versions, and weather anniversary update broke it (don't think so cuz I recently tried it in win 7 to no avail... but I might not have been using the right graphics driver... no idea really but I am surprised to see people suspecting the same exact 3 things I did and I am no technical guru).

ultimately, it's too many damn factors to test. and this is the extent of my input. it is just a problem / does not work anymore. and we think it's for these reasons. we should not have to roll back operating system or gpu driver because we would go back to the same performance issues and security threats we had before those updates. please just make directx 12 3d work in the most recent version of everything--in 3d. side by side, and NVidia 3d vision too if possible. ty dolphin team you are amazing <3 ... just sad cuz I was having a LOT of fun w/ dx12 3d. hope you are able to find the solution!

p.s. I too had those weird directx11 crashes but on the most recent windows 10 version / fully updated / most recent gpu driver / most recent dolphin revision, dx11 is working fine again. now for dx12...

*edit* just rolled dolphin back to 4.0-9440 and directx12 3d is working just fine lol... turns out it's actually something in dolphin, at this point at least. (windows 10 enterprise 64 bit build 14393 fully updated, NVidia 376.48 aka most recent everything at the time of this post ... except dolphin)

sweet! ok I did my part. there's a working dx12 on a fully updated system. now to find the most recent possible version of dolphin where it stopped working (until they can fix it). any help?
Use vulkan instead.
just in case nobody saw past my "tldr" wall of text, I found the version I was using where directx 12 works (in side by side only, it never worked in interlaced mode).

dolphin 4.0-9440 - directx12 works. (just google it to find the download). this is the fastest way to play twilight princess, and probably some other gays, by far (i.e. no lag in that purple fog zone world map etc). In fact I will find if any more recent versions had it working right now since nobody else did... brb with an edit.

(12-27-2016, 10:04 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Use vulkan instead.

and Helios this thread is about directx12 implementation which i'm pretty sure isn't going away. vulkan is designed for AMD processors if I'm not mistaken, which I have. also awesome, but totally irrelevant to this thread.

edit: just tried vulkan (also in sbs 3d same config) and it is indeed impressive speed, like directx12. but it, in 3d mode, it puts a black box over the right eye, where the map is in twilight princess Sad lol. dx12 is the best render api for my rig/software environment/this game it seems. and, to get back on topic, the most recent dolphin version where dx12 still works in 3d for me is dolphin-master-4.0-9505-x64.
found it.

dolphin-master-4.0-9505-x64 = the last working version with working directx12 (side by side only, again, interlaced dx12 never worked afaik. right before 5.0 almost (2nd to last 4.0 revision lol). had to search through 105 revisions to find it for myself and it is only right to share Smile enjoy! awesome job dolphin team and I hope dx12 3d is up and running in new revisions soon!

update: I was getting laggy twilight princess again ; ; ... UNTIL I went into NVidia control panel "set up stereoscopic 3d" tab and disabled that enable 3d checkbox. (this is a problem/fix in other games in 3d sbs mode too) then I got the MASSIVE speed boost I was enjoying before from and only from directx12 Smile just, yet another thing to consider, to help people make their dx12 3d work right / development.

still on most recent software of everything otherwise here. windows 10 14393 (i'm done beta testing operating system revisions only install as they're given now lol. can't wait for creativity update this spring! they're adding a game mode to the operating system for performance O_O). 100% on critical windows updates, NVidia 376.60 drivers on a GT640 (so yea speed matters to me lol), and now most recent possible working dolphin dx12 3d lol. enjoy! <3

update: twilight princess in dx12 3d widescreen @ full speed is so fun ; ; ... this is actually the way it's meant to be played ™, and might I add ty dolphin team for picking up slack on where certain game companies and graphics hardware companies are lacking. they could have better 3d support and be re-release ing these amazing titles in 3d/hd/increased framerates more--relatively easily--(or these days, update them with a patch to unlock these evolving features/enhancements), and it should be for free or nearly free since we already paid thousands of dollars for our hardware consoles/tv/gpu and the media and it was incomplete in a sense. (not to mention legal rights of ownership). we certainly shouldn't be charged $50 for HD remakes that are actually the same game with pixel filters and increased resolution over and over again. and i'm sure some of you will get jobs with them lol. fight for a free-er emulation community when you do because we benefit each other. (my config for this game is @ 1080p windows desktop resolution, directx12, 1.5x internal resolution, vsync on, forced 16:9, and widescreen AR code 0445391C 3FE38E39 w/ cheats enabled to activate this aspect ratio fix. without the enhancements tab's widescreen checkbox activated. that messes it up and this one from wiki is better. AND StereoConvergencePercentage = 2000 in the GFX.ini file--in C:\Users\"your windows username"\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Config--which you have to edit in notepad to exceed the emulator's convergence.) I have yet to see the most minor of glitches, or hiccups (visual or audio, and I have surround sound active / 5.1 sound configured in windows). everything works perfectly! <3 u dolphin community.
(01-17-2017, 11:45 AM)Mateja Wrote: [ -> ]and Helios this thread is about directx12 implementation which i'm pretty sure isn't going away.

It might be about to go away. There isn't really anyone working on the Direct3D 12 backend anymore, so don't be surprised if your issue doesn't get fixed.
Good work on sleuthing, Mateja. It's a bit puzzling what might have changed. Anyhow, I've come to the same conclusion as Helios and switched over to Vulkan. Vulkan is not CPU specific. Runs just fine on my Intel CPU. So far it works great it seems, and it will continue to get updates.
Yep. D3D12 is on the chopping block because it's poorly written, buggy, and nobody gives a damn. Maintaining this many backends sucks.

So... As soon as Stenzek gives the word, bye bye D3D12.
Pages: 1 2 3