Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Intel Compute Stick?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mdog1978

Anyone tried running Dolphin on the Intel Compute Stick?  Specifically the CS325.
These are the specs:

Processor    Intel Core m3-6Y30
                   Skylake x86, 2C/4T, 900 MHz (up to 2.2 GHz), 14nm, 4MB L2
                   4.5W TDP (cTDP up to 7W, cTDP down to 3.8W)

Memory    4GB LPDDR3
                   14-17-17-40 @ 1866 MHz

Graphics    Intel HD Graphics 515

Disk Drive(s)   Kingston eMMC M52564
                   (64 GB; eMMC 5.0-compatible)

Networking    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
                   (2x2 802.11ac - 866 Mbps)

Audio   Capable of 5.1/7.1 digital output with HD audio bitstreaming (HDMI)

Miscellaneous I/O Ports    3x USB 3.0
                                  1x micro-SDXC

Operating System Windows 10 Home x64
-Bluetooth 4.2

Really just looking to play GC. I'm guessing the graphics would be the biggest issue?

Thanks
That IGP would definitely be a bottleneck, not sure if it could reliably handle native resolution. But even getting past the IGP, that CPU is a pretty poor candidate for Dolphin. It's lowest speed is 900MHz, but even at its top-speed of 2.2GHz, it's a very slow CPU. It's an Ultra-Low Voltage model, meaning it takes less power to run compared to its desktop counterparts, but performance suffers, even at the same clocks.

If you're looking to play GC games on something small, drop a couple hundred more dollars and buy an Intel NUC, or a Gigabyte Brix. The Intel Compute Stick most likely wouldn't enjoyably play most of your GC games

mdog1978

Thanks for the info Shonumi. I've looked at the NUC too. Just want something cheap and compact to dedicate to emulation, but i guess you get what you pay for. Kinda liked the convenience of using a stick.
Or just buy Alien Alpha (4th gen Core i3 @ 2.9GHz + GTX 860M for $400) , it's about the same size as Intel NUC but it can run most game full speed at 1080p

mdog1978

Great suggestion admin89! Think that's what I'll go with. Plus, it will look pretty slick on my entertainment center lol.

Thanks!