Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Direct3D 12 stable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
after downloading dolphin 5.0 I noticed that you can use Direct3D 12 I also noticed that it's experimental.
Is it stable enough for use? I really want to use that because I heard AMD card get a pretty large fps boost from directx12.
if it's not stable enough for use what should i choose to use OpenGL, Direct3D 11 or software renderer to get the most fps?
My PC:
- MSI r9 280x
- I5-4590
- 8GB Ram

Thanks in advance,
Orma.
Yeah, D3D12 is stable enough in most situations. It is just labelled as Experimental because it is still fairly new. It is the latest and newest backend after all. It should be stable enough to all your favorite games. Just remember to revert back to other backends such as D3D11 or OpenGL might you run into issues. As with being Experimental, not every aspect of D3D12 is as refined as the other backends. D3D11 and OpenGL are much longer available, thus better tested. In fact you should use D3D12 and aid in reporting any issues you might encounter so the backend may receive the same amount of testing eventuell.

in some cases, D3D12 may be even more stable and D3D11 such as Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (not that long ago, before 5.0 was released, Bounding Box support was missing, making this game a no-go for D3D12 for the time being). Super Mario Galaxy 2 however might or might not having pointer issues with riding Yoshi sometimes, but I did not encounter that myself in D3D12 yet. I just use D3D12 all the time. The last major issue with D3D12 for me were the N64 Zelda games, which have been fixed quite a while ago.

Make sure you have a D3D12 capable Graphics Card and the Windows 10 operating system. Vulcan should also be around the corner (hopefully). As with D3D12, I expect it to be experimental too, but nothing the Dolphin team can fix eventually!
Works fine on my machine
(08-12-2016, 02:29 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, D3D12 is stable enough in most situations. It is just labelled as Experimental because it is still fairly new. It is the latest and newest backend after all. It should be stable enough to all your favorite games. Just remember to revert back to other backends such as D3D11 or OpenGL might you run into issues. As with being Experimental, not every aspect of D3D12 is as refined as the other backends. D3D11 and OpenGL are much longer available, thus better tested. In fact you should use D3D12 and aid in report any issues you might encounter so the backend may receive the same amount of testing eventuell.

in some cases, D3D12 may be even more stable and D3D11 such as Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (not that long ago, before 5.0 was released, Bounding Box support was missing, making this game a no-go for D3D12 for the time being). Super Mario Galaxy 2 however might or might not having pointer issues with riding Yoshi sometimes, but I did not encounter that myself in D3D12 yet. I just use D3D12 all the time. The last major issue with D3D12 for me were the N64 Zelda games, which have been fixed quite a while ago.

Make sure you have a D3D12 capable Graphics Card and the Windows 10 operating system. Vulcan should also be around the corner (hopefully). As with D3D12, I expect it to be experimental too, but nothing the Dolphin team can fix eventually!

Hey thanks for the answer I will defently try using Direct3D 12 and I will update if I experience any problems.
according to this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2...-280x.html
all the r9 series cards are dx12 compatible.
The support for vulkan sounds interesting. I used vulkan in doom and it almost doubled my fps. I hope the jump will be this big in the emulator too.
Edit: forgot to mention that I do use windows 10 so i have dx12 installed
Direct3D 12 works perfectly fine with super smash bros brawl.
the only problem is that the sounds has some disturtions sometimes.
any way to fix it?
I don't think that is related to D3D12, are you sure this is not occurring with D3D11 for example? Are you able to keep playing Brawl at fullspeed at all times? Do you use DPS HLE or DSP LLE audio? Ohh yea, the Audio backend of course, which is either OpenAL or XAudio, XAudio might solve here and there some audio annoyances.

If you have trouble maintaining fullspeed, you should try to decrease the graphical enhancements such as Anti-Aliasing, Per-Pixel Lightning and most importantly the Internal Native Resolution (which is usually leave at 3x for 1080 clarity).
didn't check with d3d11 but i will update.
I am able to run smb at stable 60 fps (with vsync of course) while using fullscreen resolution of 1920x1080, 3x native internal resolution, 8x MSAA, 16x Anisotropic Filtring and force texture filtering enable.
the funny thing is that openal actually made the sound with less disturtions and it is almost perfect.
i use the default dsp gle emulation (fast).
Ahh... I see, you should disable V-Sync. V-Sync is pretty horrible (at least to me in emulation, for native PC games it is actually great). There is no need to use it to cap the FPS. Nintendo games are already capped by theirselves at either 20, 30 or 60 FPS (17, 25 or 50 for PAL). V-Sync causes some terrible issues in some games, such as Xenoblade where V-Sync increased file loading times (file loading actually uncaps the fps for a while, but with V-Sync enabled that is not possible).

V-Sync is mostly required when you encounter screen tearing or to limit the FPS to the refresh rate (Hz) of your monitor's. A lot of monitors are 60 Hz, so it caps the FPS to 60. There is also Double V-Sync, which is called Adaptive (Half Refresh Rate) V-Sync for NVidia, which caps the FPS to half the refresh rate of your monitor.
(08-12-2016, 04:31 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think that is related to D3D12, are you sure this is not occurring with D3D11 for example? Are you able to keep playing Brawl at fullspeed at all times? Do you use DPS HLE or DSP LLE audio? Ohh yea, the Audio backend of course, which is either OpenAL or XAudio, XAudio might solve here and there some audio annoyances.

If you have trouble maintaining fullspeed, you should try to decrease the graphical enhancements such as Anti-Aliasing, Per-Pixel Lightning and most importantly the Internal Native Resolution (which is usually leave at 3x for 1080 clarity).

(08-12-2016, 04:43 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Ahh... I see, better disable V-Sync. V-Sync is pretty horrible. There is no need to use it to cap the FPS. Nintendo games are already capped by theirselves at either 20, 30 or 60 FPS (17, 25 or 50 for PAL). V-Sync causes some terrible issues in some games, such as Xenoblade where V-Sync increased file loading times (file loading actually uncaps the fps for a while, but with V-Sync enabled that is not possible).

ok so I will disable the v-sync.
Tried now with Direct3d 11 and it seems to be even worse than using XAudio with direct3d 12. also it decreased my fps and i exprienced a lot of dips down to 50 (i used the show fps option) which I was able to notice.
50 FPS? Do you use the PAL version of Brawl? You can enable PAL60 Mode in the General Config menu in Dolphin to allow European games to be played at 60 Hz, so you get 60 FPS instead of 50 FPS. This only works for Wii games through. PAL GameCube games have an option for 60 Hz when booting it (if supported). Older systems through the virtual console are locked to 50 Hz for PAL (N64, SNES, NES). You can notice if 60 Hz mode is used if the VPS (not FPS) meter shows 60. Otherwise the VPS is locked at 50. The Dolphin interface shows you at the bottom the current FPS, VPS and speed in percentage (which should be 100%).
Pages: 1 2