Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will my new laptop be enough ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I've been trying for so long to play Gamecube/Wii games on my current laptop, but just gave up after a while. It was simply unplayable. I got my present laptop at the end of 2011 and its has decent specs for that time. The three important specs are an i5-2450m CPU, Nvidia GeForce 420m and 8GB DDR3 RAM. I had actually given up completely in being able to play games on this computer since 2014. I was on reddit when I came across a user who mentioned that Dolphin 5.0 has been released. Even though I was sure I would be wasting my time, I decided to give it a try. Lo and behold, I can play any game I want. I was simply flabbergasted or rather discombobulated if you prefer that one. I was even more shocked to find out that running the Dolphin emulator requires less CPU than playing a H.265 video for crying out loud. Wow !! So, like every other human being, I got cocky and decided to up the resolution. That was when I got transported back to the early days of trying to run the Dolphin emulator on my laptop. I'm presently stuck on the native resolution. Still, I can't thank my lucky stars enough that I can actually play Super Mario Galaxy on my 5 year old laptop at 60FPS, with the occasional dip in framerate.
A month ago, I decide to get a new Laptop. I'm a Thinkpad fan, so it was obvious to get another Thinkpad. The Thinkpad P50 was on sale for $805 and without any shilly-shally, I ordered one. It'll be with me soon; at least that's what Lenovo says. Anyway, it comes with an i7 6700HQ CPU, 16GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro M1000M with 4GB VRAM. The specs look capable on paper. For those of you who are not familiar with the Quadro GPUs, they are industry-optimized versions of the GTX series. According to sources online, the M1000M uses the same hardware as the GTX 950m. My aim is to be able to play games at 1080p and I wonder if this new laptop will be able to deliver.
Thanks for reading my life story Big Grin .
(08-11-2016, 10:33 AM)medwatt Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
I've been trying for so long to play Gamecube/Wii games on my current laptop, but just gave up after a while. It was simply unplayable. I got my present laptop at the end of 2011 and its has decent specs for that time. The three important specs are an i5-2450m CPU, Nvidia GeForce 420m and 8GB DDR3 RAM. I had actually given up completely in being able to play games on this computer since 2014. I was on reddit when I came across a user who mentioned that Dolphin 5.0 has been released. Even though I was sure I would be wasting my time, I decided to give it a try. Lo and behold, I can play any game I want. I was simply flabbergasted or rather discombobulated if you prefer that one. I was even more shocked to find out that running the Dolphin emulator requires less CPU than playing a H.265 video for crying out loud. Wow !! So, like every other human being, I got cocky and decided to up the resolution. That was when I got transported back to the early days of trying to run the Dolphin emulator on my laptop. I'm presently stuck on the native resolution. Still, I can't thank my lucky stars enough that I can actually play Super Mario Galaxy on my 5 year old laptop at 60FPS, with the occasional dip in framerate.
A month ago, I decide to get a new Laptop. I'm a Thinkpad fan, so it was obvious to get another Thinkpad. The Thinkpad P50 was on sale for $805 and without any shilly-shally, I ordered one. It'll be with me soon; at least that's what Lenovo says. Anyway, it comes with an i7 6700HQ CPU, 16GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro M1000M with 4GB VRAM. The specs look capable on paper. For those of you who are not familiar with the Quadro GPUs, they are industry-optimized versions of the GTX series. According to sources online, the M1000M uses the same hardware as the GTX 950m. My aim is to be able to play games at 1080p and I wonder if this new laptop will be able to deliver.
Thanks for reading my life story  Big Grin .

yes
If it doesn't have thermal throttling issues (overheating) like most non-gaming laptops , it will be ok for 3xIR or 4xIR
(08-11-2016, 11:52 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]If it doesn't have thermal throttling issues (overheating) like most non-gaming laptops , it will be ok for 3xIR or 4xIR

Its actually one of the coolest laptops you can buy. You can read notebookcheck's review on the Thinkpad P50.
(08-11-2016, 01:17 PM)medwatt Wrote: [ -> ]Its actually one of the coolest laptops you can buy. You can read notebookcheck's review on the Thinkpad P50.

Never getting warm may actually be a sign of very agressive thermal throttling...