Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Stuttery audio with F-Zero GX (still)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ever since I used Dolphin 4.0 I have always had stuttery audio with F-Zero GX. Especially at the beginning. Like it was a cache issue. I am still getting similar issues with this game with version 5.0 and wondering if it's just the game itself. I have an i5-3570K and GTX 770 and have noticed how better games do run with this version. This then surprises me why the audio seems the same even though Dolphin 5 is a huge re-write for optimization. Do other folk have similar issues with this game? I can't see any settings that might help with audio apart from what there is. The game runs gorgeous and that's why I am surprised why the audio is problematic. Doesn't really seem that it's because the pc is underpowered (or am I wrong?) Both audio settings give the same result. Is there any settings with Nvidia that might solve this? I have set vsync to adaptive but hasn't made any noticable difference.

Oh, one other thing... has the gamecube controller+ adaptor detecting problem been solved with version 5.0?  That was another issue that was so annoying.

Thanks devs for an awesome emulator!
F-Zero GX is one of those games that's just very demanding. It's almost always full speed for me except when generating shaders.
I'm sure it IS demanding but isn't there anything that could improve it?  I only had a GTX560 when I first used Dolphin 4 and now with Dolphin 5 I have a GTX770. Coupled with the fact version 5 has been heavily optimized, I would expect the audio to be better, but it really isn't.. or at least none that I can tell. What I'm trying to say is my system has improved performance wise but this game is the same, sound-wise. Really wish I knew why this is the same. If it's a pc-power/performance thing then why don't I see that much improvement?

No matter, thanks for replying!
Upgrading your GPU doesn't matter much; your CPU is what counts for Dolphin. You would get a performance increase if you switched from your Ivy Bridge CPU to a Haswell one, as Dolphin loves Haswell (30% faster than Ivy Bridge, IIRC).
Have just overclocked to 4.3ghz and will test to see if it helps. Next cpu will be i7, so agree with you about a newer chip. Thanks again for advice.

Update: Overclocking has made a big improvement. Not perfect, but at a level now that i can live with. At least now this aging cpu can last me a little bit longer before I upgrade in the next 6-8 months.
Thanks all!