Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Rig, Just got into Dolphin, and looking to contribute somehow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Afgrahamistan

Hello!

I recently built my first PC and was excited to hear 5.0 recently came out. I've never had a chance to try anything better than a SNES emulator on my previous laptop (a Toshiba Satellite that could hardly run Team Fortress 2), so with this new rig I'm really excited to jump into GC/Wii emulation.

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about coding or programming (English major ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) but I'd happy to devote any free time to testing games that need it on the new version or messing around with any of the experimental settings for research sake. Also, if I can figure out this format the "Record Input" feature is I'd be happy to put up any videos. Or if there is even just a PayPal link I could just donate a token or two of my appreciation, that's fine too.  Big Grin

In the meantime, I thought I'd share the specs of my system along with the current graphic settings I'm running on Dolphin now. Any advice or recommendations or what I should adjust would be great.
[Image: Desktop.png]
[Image: Dolphin_Graphics.png]

Thanks!
You can put your fullscreen render to auto, just a quick tip.

Other than that, looks like a glorious setup.
Why don't you take up coding as a hobby? It's not so hard to learn
You can safely set the texture cache accuracy to Fast instead of Safe. Most games don't need anything else than Fast, and those that do will automatically use more accurate settings. (Don't open the graphics settings when playing though, or this will be overridden)

edit: you probably also don't want to log render times (unless you know what you are doing). The log file can get pretty big if you play for hours…
(08-07-2016, 02:33 PM)Afgrahamistan Wrote: [ -> ]Also, if I can figure out this format the "Record Input" feature is I'd be happy to put up any videos.

The DTM file it makes only contains button presses, not video. If you want to record video, you can turn on Movie > Dump Frames and Movie > Dump Audio.

Afgrahamistan

(08-07-2016, 04:01 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]You can put your fullscreen render to auto, just a quick tip.

Other than that, looks like a glorious setup.
Why don't you take up coding as a hobby? It's not so hard to learn

Really? I just might do that, is there a particular language you would recommend I start with?
Python / Java / C#
(08-08-2016, 11:26 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Python / Java / C#
Drop Java from this list. I like python most here, but C# is also fine.
There are more learning resources available for Java than C#, though, and it also gets more use in industry. It's not the hardest thing in the world to switch to C# later, whereas if you switch the other way, you suddenly have to let go of nice things like properties, operator overloading and generics that work with basic types.
What Degasus said, but I prefer C# and would highly recommend that (Visual Studio is the best IDE I've ever used). Python is the odd one out with its own specific rules (differing from the C family). C# and Java look very alike and you would have to (re)learn less if you plan to use/switch to C++.