Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Widescreen Stretched HUD, can it be fixed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So Widescreen hacks causes the HUD in games to get stretched.

I wonder, can this be fixed?

I kinda get why it happens, and if so there should be at least one solution.

Have the game HUD modded so it's squished, so when it get stretched it looks normal.
Depending on what game you have, you can check out the widescreen list thread with AR codes to fix the HUD
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ic-archive
It's possible to change Dolphin's wide-screen hack heuristic to not stretch the UI as well; but no one has completed a revamp to it.
I tried to unstretch orthographic projection by changing line 472 in VertexShaderManager.cpp to g_fProjectionMatrix[0] = rawProjection[0] * g_ActiveConfig.fAspectRatioHackW and line 475 in the same file to g_fProjectionMatrix[3] = rawProjection[1] * g_ActiveConfig.fAspectRatioHackW; but it caused too many graphical bugs mostly relating to fullscreen EFB copies with the Widescreen hack enabled.
Can't really find the games with AR codes that fix the HUD, there's not really a list at that Forum, am i missing something?

But wait, is the HUD separate from the rest of the textures in how Dolphin handles them?
I guess not according to what gamemasterplc said as he seems to have tried what i thought might have worked.
I have done it with gecko codes in some games by modifying certain calls to the orthographic projection function, but in other games the same call is always used with differing call stacks which is more difficult to deal with. Early RenderWare games always used the same call with differing call stacks. Many games use differing calls for some fullscreen graphical effects, transitions, and the main HUD. The orthographic projection function is GXSetProjection when register 4 is equal to 1 right before entering the function.
Noticed that Widescreen hack actually doesn't stretch the HUD, thought it did.
But it can cause artifacts cause the Game doesn't know the AR so it doesn't actually know that it's supposed to show stuff outside the original screen.

Things like certain stuff will pop up when they reach near 4:3 in those games (Twilight Princess is a good example, the rocks).

Hmm, would it be possible to have a code that just increases the "Render Size" but not actually the "Viewport" so to speak?
So the game believes it's 16:9 or something, but it's still 4:3, and then you can widescreen hack to make it so?

If that would be possible, then the Widescreen hack would solve the HUD, and the Popups would be solved by the game already thinking it's 16:9 etc.

I doubt there is that handy of a hack though, as the AR hacks normally are one line of code, which makes me think they are connected in the same path.
(10-10-2016, 10:46 PM)Zerowalker Wrote: [ -> ]Noticed that Widescreen hack actually doesn't stretch the HUD, thought it did.
But it can cause artifacts cause the Game doesn't know the AR so it doesn't actually know that it's supposed to show stuff outside the original screen.

Things like certain stuff will pop up when they reach near 4:3 in those games (Twilight Princess is a good example, the rocks).

Hmm, would it be possible to have a code that just increases the "Render Size" but not actually the "Viewport" so to speak?
So the game believes it's 16:9 or something, but it's still 4:3, and then you can widescreen hack to make it so?

If that would be possible, then the Widescreen hack would solve the HUD, and the Popups would be solved by the game already thinking it's 16:9 etc.

I doubt there is that handy of a hack though, as the AR hacks normally are one line of code, which makes me think they are connected in the same path.
I found that many of the Aspect ratio fixes actually do not stretch the HUD, but this might also be because I use texture packs for games that I use the AR or Gecko codes with. It would be ofcourse sort of possible to make a texturepack which make the textures for the HUD anamorphic and thus get the correct size once stretched out.
Well it's probably the Texture Packs.

Though, are Texture Packs stretched like normal Textures are?
Meaning, if i dump the textures and just reuse them, will they become un-stretched cause how Dolphin use them, or will they act the same?
If you're using a 16:9 hack, it looks better when the HUD is left stretched anyways, otherwise it just sits in the middle of the screen where the edges would be if it were 4:3, which looks awful.
Pages: 1 2