Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 crashes when run for seemingly no reason
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Unfortunately, whenever I boot up Dolphin (just run it, not even emulating a game), Dolphin will seemingly force close for no apparent reason anywhere from 15-60 seconds later, saying dolphin.exe has stopped working due to a problem. It seems to work fine otherwise before it force closes, as I can navigate the menus, and am even being capable of emulating things before it dies, so I can't imagine what could be causing it. I literally JUST got my Acer Predator yesterday and haven't downloaded anything noteworthy that should have any effect on this, so I'm baffled as to why this is happening. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I would be very appreciative of any help given.

My hardware specs are 16gb of RAM, an Intel i7 6700 HQ processor, and a Nvidia GTX 980M w/ 8gb of VRAM
Just to be sure, are you referring to 5.0 stable?
(07-31-2016, 09:09 PM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Just to be sure, are you referring to 5.0 stable?

Yes, I apologize. I've also tested 4.0.2 with the same results, as well as the developmental 5.0-334, which doesn't even display a program error messsage, and just force shuts without even telling me.
Try moving the Dolphin emulator folder from My Documents to somewhere else. This will let us see if there's a bag config in Dolphin, or if its somewhere else.
I moved it from My Documents to my Downloads folder, but when I tried to boot up Dolphin, it started a brand new "Dolphin Emulator" file in My Documents. Should be changing the directory in the Application to the moved files in my Downloads folder?
That's normal, and it means it's recreating a new user directory, which is what you want when you're unsure if your issue is caused by the configuration.
No improvement unfortunately, still getting the program error for seemingly no reason about a minute or two after opening the application. I've even tried using REALLY old versions of Dolphin like 3.5 and I'm having no luck. Again, nothing odd has happened, I just go this laptop. I did sort of accidentally format the 1 TB hardrive this laptop comes with, but there wasn't anything on it, and the OS and all my files are contained on the 512 Gb SSD in here, so I can't imagine why that would have any effect.
That's really odd… I can't imagine this being due to a bug in Dolphin itself, so it's probably an issue with your system. Something is preventing Dolphin from working normally after one minute.

Do you have any anti-virus software installed? If it still won't work after disabling them (if applicable), I would try doing a clean reinstall of the OS.
All right, I fixed it. It was really dumb. If I run it as an administrator, it works, so it must have been catching on trying to run something it didn't have access to and therefore closing. Could have sworn I gave myself Administrative powers on my account, but I guess not. Apologies for wasting your guys' time, thanks for the help.
Something is definitely wrong with your system if you need to run Dolphin with admin rights. Dolphin shouldn't need them, and running programs which don't need them with admin rights is not a good idea, as far as security is concerned.
Pages: 1 2