Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Skylake i3 Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday I finished this build:  https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Grahf/saved/#view=4ymypg

It runs Dolphin (Ubuntu) better than my early 2011 macbook pro with a sandy bridge i7 and radeon hd 6750m. With no dedicated graphics cards and only using the intel hd 530 igpu it runs Xenoblade at 30 fps with 2.0 internal resolution, per pixel lighting, 16x anisotropic filtering, and 2x AA.  I can even run at 2.5 internal resolution but it stutters a lot in battles and other places.  

So I had no idea that the igpu would work so well.  If anyone's on the fence about only using intels integrated graphics I recommend it.  
My upgrade path is either going to be to get a dedicated gpu or wait for kabylake.

For a GPU I could get either the geforce gtx 750ti or radeon rx 460 when it comes out.  I'm leaning towards the rx 460 because it has DX12.  

But Kabylakes igpu is supposed to be even better than the hd 530 so if I purchased a kabylake when it is released I would be upgrading both the cpu and gpu.
Quote:I'm leaning towards the rx 460 because it has DX12.
GTX 750Ti is first generation Maxwell card . So it fully supports DX12 ...
Latest AMD GPU outperforms Nvidia GPU in Dx12 and Vulcan because AMD fully utilize Asynchronous computing (multi-threading on graphic card) - a feature of DX12
Quote:But Kabylakes igpu is supposed to be even better than the hd 530 so if I purchased a kabylake when it is released I would be upgrading both the cpu and gpu
Intel GPU does not fully support DX12 . I tested and saw no improvement over DX11/OpenGL
Intel HD 530 is way slower than GT 640 . Even if new kabylake iGPU was 2x faster than HD 530 , there is no way it could compete with GTX 750 , let alone GTX 750ti
(07-31-2016, 02:34 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]GTX 750Ti is first generation Maxwell card . So it fully supports DX12 ...
Latest AMD GPU outperforms Nvidia GPU in Dx12 and Vulcan because AMD fully utilize Asynchronous computing (multi-threading on graphic card) - a feature of DX12
Intel GPU does not fully support DX12 . I tested and saw no improvement over DX11/OpenGL
Intel HD 530 is way slower than GT 640 . Even if new kabylake iGPU was 2x faster than HD 530 , there is no way it could compete with GTX 750 , let alone GTX 750ti

Oh I didn't realize the GTX 750Ti supported DX12.  Nice.  The reason I mentioned DX12 was because I read somewhere that Cemu(The WiiIU Emulator) runs better with a DX12 card....And now that I type this I realize I'm not using windows and therefore wont be using DX12....... OK

I've never used a GT 640.  Not doing a lot graphics intensive work either.... But if you're spending $100 and you can use it on either a dedicated GPU or new CPU with a iGPU I think there are trade offs you have to weigh.
As far as Dolphin is concerned, OpenGL is already pretty fast on NVIDIA and there's not much difference in performance with the current Vulkan PR, except for some games (though this may just be because it's not fully optimised? -- I don't know).

By the way, since you're on Linux and have a gen9 iGPU (Skylake), you also get a Vulkan driver which doesn't work too bad Smile