Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A user-adjustable zoom function would be very useful
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of the problems that is common to a lot of games on Dolphin is extra lines of pixels along the borders of the image. For example in these caps from Wind Waker and TimeSplitters 2:

https://imgur.com/a/mPuX1
https://imgur.com/a/HlTvl

I don't think this is a problem with the emulator, usually - I think that the image is being rendered correctly, only the games were originally developed for analogue televisions that would naturally crop the picture so those borders weren't actually seen by the players. Since LCD screens render everything without cropping, we get these distracting lines showing.

Dolphin has a crop option in the settings, but in my experience it is too aggressive and takes off what seems like a full 10% or more of the picture. If we had a setting that let us adjust exactly how much to take out it would be much more useful. PCSX2 has an option like this and it works well for the most part, although it doesn't work for pixel lines on the sides like in TimeSplitters 2.
Crop replicates how televisions would display the game. That's why those weird lines are there, on televisions, they would never be seen!
(07-30-2016, 04:02 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Crop replicates how televisions would display the game. That's why those weird lines are there, on televisions, they would never be seen!

I know, but I would think it's possible to have user-adjustable cropping so we can see as much of the picture as possible without cutting anything extra. Also, with TimeSplitters 2 the problems are on the side as well as the bottom. Cropping works for the bottom but the side line still shows on modern widescreen monitors, so cropping doesn't fix that at all.
Should be fairly simple to implement in a post processing shader.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

Are random pixel lines due to internal resolution scaling (high-res/HD rendering), aspect ratio cropping (is that a thing?), or overscan cropping?