Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin slow downs PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been excited about playing Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero.
Yesterday I downloaded Dolphin 5.0 x64 and tested it with RE Remake Disc 1 and it went smooth, but after the emulation starts the PC slows down REALLY BAD, everything needs a lot of time, even the small confirmation windows on every program don't show the buttons and most of the text(the "Stop emulation?" window included), and the only way the get the usual PC speed is rebooting.

I checked and Dolphin doesn't stay in the background, neither other programs besides the Windows services, explorer, etc. So, nothing eating resources.

After that I downloaded Dophin 4.0.2 x64 and I got the same problem, also I have all the .NET frame works and Visual C++ sin 2008 to 2015. Drivers up to date.
It's possible your computer was overheating. Check your CPU/GPU temps while playing Dolphin.
(07-30-2016, 05:19 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]It's possible your computer was overheating. Check your CPU/GPU temps while playing Dolphin.

That would be weird, because I can play Dark Souls 3 and stream it without any overheating.
Dolphin probably makes heavier use of your CPU than that game, since emulation is mostly CPU-bound.
(07-30-2016, 05:19 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]It's possible your computer was overheating. Check your CPU/GPU temps while playing Dolphin.

(07-30-2016, 07:12 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin probably makes heavier use of your CPU than that game, since emulation is mostly CPU-bound.

But then why would the PC stay so slow if Dolphin is already closed, no matter how much time it passes, and it's not running in the background? (Checked with the Task Manager).
(07-30-2016, 06:56 AM)heavymetalmixer Wrote: [ -> ]That would be weird, because I can play Dark Souls 3 and stream it without any overheating.

Because Dark Souls doesn't have to translate instructions made for an entirely different architecture on the fly  into something your PC can understand and work with

Anyways, I'd check the Task Manager and see if there's anything acting unusual
(07-30-2016, 10:36 AM)TehGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Because Dark Souls doesn't have to translate instructions made for an entirely different architecture on the fly  into something your PC can understand and work with

Anyways, I'd check the Task Manager and see if there's anything acting unusual

No, every process it's doing as usual, that's why I think this is so weird (I checked again almost 30 mins ago and nothing unusual in the processes).
Do you use any custom texture pack with prefetching enabled? Can you check your memory usage?

Other than that, I don't know how Dolphin could cause your PC to slow down for so long (even if it were overheating, it would eventually be back to normal as it cools down).
I didn't even know you could change textures for games, and no, memory usage is also normal. This seems to be more like a bug from Dolphin, one in the core of the program.
Well, since this doesn't happen for nearly everyone else, I'd say your system is probably broken, not Dolphin… And Dolphin is just triggering the problem.

If this were a bug in Dolphin, only Dolphin would be slow, and everything would be back to normal after closing it. This isn't the case, so this is a system-wide issue.
Pages: 1 2