Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Fixing GC Save Files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I've been playing Crystal Chronicles and have been saving just fine. I loaded into Ubuntu, installed Dolphin and pointed the memory card to the Windows 7 Memory Card directory (I was wise enough to make a backup first of course but that ends there) and started playing. I got a few hours ahead of the same file that I started accessing through Ubuntu. I saved, did some work and came back and started playing again. The game loaded up the save file perfectly fine. However, I shut it down to change my resolution and anti-aliasing and rebooted the game. Then my save file is gone but my savestate I made at the same time still works great.

I have been trying to figure out what is going on and why it won't remember the save file I made, or why it won't let me make a manual save using the save state. I read that changing settings back to what they were at the time of the save will help, but I tried that and the manual save still won't recognize. The only other thing I know I changed was save state shortcuts. The odd thing is if I reload the memory card through Windows 7 the manual save file at the time of me accessing it through Ubuntu is there, but hours behind (original save).

Is there anything I can do to preserve my file? I know how wacky save states can be, so I don't want to rely on them to play this game. 

Info:
Dolphin 5.0

Two locations I tried accessing for my memory cards:

/home/Twix/.local/share/dolphin-emu/GC
/Users/Twix/Documents/Dolphin Emulator/GC

Thanks for any help! Blush

EDIT

When I inspect the properties of the save file, it has the same time as when I really last manually saved but is "empty" when I load it. Also, if I inspect the memory card using the manager, it possess both manual saves I made on that memory card but is "empty" when I load it.

EDIT 2

Also, when I load the state save, it loads up fine but text states underneath "state not found". However, if I use the toolbar to load and save states, the "state not found" message is not displayed. Hopefully this information can help.

EDIT 3

Okay, so I found a solution. Patience and persistence yielded me positive results! The save states couldn't "work", I'm guessing, because the data wasn't matching the manual save? I don't know the explanation, but I used this:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gcn-memcard-recover.349406/
(backup I made in case something ever happens to the above and someone needs it)

First I opened a RAW/empty memcard, loaded my save state that actually worked and then manually saved onto the card (it asked me to format and I did). Next, I shut it all off and checked with the built in Manager if the data was actually written (it was just didn't load). Then I opened the above program, located the memcard and then scanned it. It found one lost file that it highlighted in yellow. I selected it and then pressed "save" to create a .GCI file. Next I shut off the program and opened Dolphin's Memory Card Manager once more, picked the faulty memory card that had the data but wouldn't load, deleted the Crystal Chronicles save on it and then in the same instance/window I selected "Import GCI" and selected the file I made with the MemCard Recovery Program above, closed it and relaunched the game and it worked! Big Grin

It seems I made this thread for nothing since I found the solution relatively quick, so I apologize admins/moderators. However, I hope I can help another sap out there like myself. Blush