Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Massive Slowdowns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

fuzzydunlop

Hi guys. On Dolphin 5.0 I'm trying to play Xenoblade Chronicles. I get a consistent 30fps and 90fps when I uncap the framerate. However, I get massive, brief dips down to around 12 fps for like 2 seconds, also resulting in distorted audio usually in cities like Colony 9 no matter what settings I use. I've also tried multiple isos. I've included an image attachment that has my specs as well as all relevant Dolphin settings. Not too sure if the issue is on my PC's end or Dolphin's.
I´d say that the slowdowns are happening because of Shader Cache being generated. Dolphin builds it during gameplay. When there is no need to build more shaders, Dolphin just reuses them so the slowdowns don´t happen again.

fuzzydunlop

(07-15-2016, 05:06 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]I´d say that the slowdowns are happening because of Shader Cache being generated. Dolphin builds it during gameplay. When there is no need to build more shaders, Dolphin just reuses them so the slowdowns don´t happen again.

I see, thanks Barry. Is there any way to prevent this or is it just inevitable? I'm fine with it if so. I've heard that there's a build of Dolphin called Ishiiruka that may improve this?
(07-15-2016, 05:37 AM)fuzzydunlop Wrote: [ -> ]I see, thanks Barry. Is there any way to prevent this or is it just inevitable? I'm fine with it if so.

It will go away as you play the game. Once Dolphin has encountered a graphical effect, that effect won't give you stuttering anymore. There's not really anything you can do other than that.

(07-15-2016, 05:37 AM)fuzzydunlop Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard that there's a build of Dolphin called Ishiiruka that may improve this?

Yes, at the expense of graphics becoming briefly invisible instead. https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...om-version

fuzzydunlop

I see, I thought it was on my end but I'm glad to see that's just the way it is. Basically the game smooths out the longer I play it, interesting. Thank you so much for clearing this up guys. Dolphin 5.0 has been awesome so far, the dev team has put in some great work since the last time I tried it. Big Grin