Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Vulkan Backand = WOW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So, I was just playing around with the Vulkan backend by downloading the correct PR build and I must say, I am VERY impressed! I know, it is very VERY broken right now but there are still a few games that work perfectly with it. SSXTricky is indistinguishable from the other backends and it is FAST. DX12 is still a crashy mess on a good day and fully restarts my PC without warning on a bad day but the Vulkan backend seems pretty darn solid. It also seems to play very well with the Steam overlay, which I use with my Steam Controller.

I use an AMD GPU and OpenGL just doesn't run as well as D3D does on my system but this Vulkan thing might just change that and I support fully any kind of non-M$ open anything. Very much so looking forward to swapping out for using this 100% in the future.

I was both excited and impressed by this, so much so I have to talk about it! Does this also mean that Linux might be getting closer to performance parody with the Windows version of Dolphin in the future? Still, very nice work!

My performance testing with StarFox Adventures. Works best in OpenGL but the performance hit is substantial and causes the game to lag too much in many areas. I tested this with a save state and all the EXACT same settings. This is an idle animation with an NPC in front of Fox. These are average framerates over approximately 30 seconds. I also waited to start paying attention to the FPS until after the FPS had settled down and there were no cache stutters and such.

I will say that the Vulkan backend seems to run the frames out o my TV in a smoother fashion. Not sure if I am just making this up because I am excited or not but still.

Vulkan   170

OpenGL 110
DX12     162
D3D11   148

I am using an intel Skylake i5-6600K @ 4.5Ghz | AMD R9 380 4GB @ 1010Mhz | W10 Pro x64 | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz
Good to see it perform so well for you.

On my Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 installs, OpenGL is still faster than Vulkan. This is prolly due to NVIDIA OpenGL breaking the spec so it's faster. AMD's OpenGL driver has always been a mess, so it's no wonder to see a nice improvement on AMD cards.

Spoiler:
(07-14-2016, 06:29 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Good to see it perform so well for you.

On my Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 installs, OpenGL is still faster than Vulkan. This is prolly due to NVIDIA OpenGL breaking the spec so it's faster. AMD's OpenGL driver has always been a mess, so it's no wonder to see a nice improvement on AMD cards.

Spoiler:

Ah, ok I will make a thread in support than about the things I have found.
Stupid question but...

Since Android now has Vulkan support, will the Android port of dolphin ever have vulkan support?
Nitpicking, but only SoCs that have Vulkan support works.

Right now that is nvidia's X1, Qualcomm's 820, and probably whatever the latest Exynos is.

https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3935

According to Stenzek, Android support is done.

EDIT: Whoops, SD 650 652 as well.

Plus some Mali chips but Mali is trash so whatever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(AP...patibility
How to get/build dolphin with vulkan on linux?
Pull Stenzek's Vulkan branch on github and use the usual process to compile Dolphin.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...n_on_Linux
I have to bump this.

The Vulkan backend is probably one of the best things to happen to Dolphin in a while, and it's the result of making Dolphin's source code clean, accessible and open.
Compare this to projects which have great potential, but are completely locked to the developers, such as Wine or DD-WRT.

And now Linux is probably the best way for users to enjoy Dolphin. I tried the latest version of the Pull Request and Vulkan is actually ahead of OpenGL now, 10+ FPS even on high resolutions.
Fucking amazing. AMD users whose cards support Vulkan will experience a boost in performance which will make the cards competitive to NVIDIA.
This is weird because performance of Vulkan for me on my NVIDIAs lags slightly lower than OpenGL in most games, and much slower in games that require EFB2RAM.
I only tested it on Ubuntu 16.04.

Did you try using the latest version? It made a lot of difference for me compared to previous versions.

It might be possible that the performance gain is not as high on Windows as on Linux. I'll test.
Pages: 1 2 3