Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My CPU Speed is limited by Dolphin, but why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hy guys
When I start a game like SSMMelee than i see that my cpu is running on DC-486 MHZ and i get allways 50fps.But when i press tab, than the fps are increased for a little while and it run on 1000Mhz.Than i have 130fps.

So but my Cpu has 3200 mhz why is it limited and how can i increase it?Huh

Because sometimes appears a lag in the game and than it need a while before the software increase the cpu mhz!Dodgy

THX

stgn

Unlimited emulation speed isn't a very good idea.
It's limitied to 486 MHZ because that's what the GC runs on? Anyway if you could gain speed by increasing the HZ without issues, I'm sure the devs would have utilized it.

cmccmc

Well the problem is that 486 hz is actually the amount that's being emulated not used. If it reaches 486hz that means it's full speed.
Thanks Big Grin

But why can I increase it with "tab" anytime I want?Huh

Hmmm.....
Tab takes all the throttle off the emulator. So essentially, the emulator takes out all of the delays and goes as fast as it possibly can. This can be useful if you want to get through simple, but long, cutscenes, but it's not really increasing the speed of the emulation. It's like taking the frame limiter off in other emulators. Playing like this for too long can overheat even the best of processors on your PC, since it's basically going 100% all the time, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you really trust your cooling system. ^_^
It also makes the window lose focus, causing the video rendering to not happen or need to happen until you re-focus it.
Thanks to all for the answers Big Grin

Now its clear Idea