Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recommended games for keyboard+mouse?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Either Wii or Gamecube... would appreciate gotchas and tips if needed to make the experience better. Thanks!
Pikmin is an obvious choice with it being an RTS.
Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 of course. You need the mouse as the Wiimote Cursor to collect all those star bits and for using those blue gravity pull stars. Super Mario Galaxy 2 goes even further with requiring the Wiimote Cursor for Yoshi's tongue. Besides the controls are not that complex for both games. You basically only need a mouse with at least 5 buttons and the keyboard arrows. The +, -, 1, 2 and Home buttons are not that important, just for opening the game menu.

It might work fine for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii too, since it basically uses the Wiimote Cursor for aiming (unless you disable it, then the control stick does the aiming). But the fact is that the GameCube controller is superior over the Wiimote + Nunchuk, so the GameCube version wins. I tend to use the GameCube controller when there is an option for (such as Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl). Because most Wiimote + Nunchuk games (or Wiimote only) requires aiming you are better off with the Keyboard + Mouse. There are some exceptions through such as New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns as they both games don't require the Wiimote for aiming, so I bind the Wiimote + Nunchuk buttons to my Wireless Xbox One Controller. Since the Wiimote + Nunchuk setup does not have that many buttons, it should work to bind them to your keyboard and mouse and use that for every games that uses a Wiimote (and Nunchuk) control scheme, provided your mouse has enough buttons.

About Pikmin, Pikmin 1 and 2 are available in two different versions. The original on the GameCube which uses the GameCube Controller and the New Play Control version for the Wii which uses the Wiimote + Nunchuk. The New Play Control versions mostly some minor difference, the largest differences is native Widescreen support and the new control scheme.
Resident Evil 4 (Wii version) is a good candidate for KB+M since, IIRC, the wiimote was used for aiming your guns

InquisitionImplied

Someone over on Reddit posted a control scheme for the Metroid Prime Trilogy. I can't test it, but the OP of the thread said it worked well.

Control Scheme: