Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Change a game's name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have two ROMs of Pokémon XD, one is the original game, the other is a hackrom of it. However, I can't tell which one is which because the name is the same for the two of them. Is there a way to change the hackrom's name so it's different from the original?
There are two ways to do this. The first involves editing the ISO, and the other only involves editing a .txt file but requires the two games to have separate game IDs. Which one do you want to use?
Well, whichever allows me to also have a different save file between them. I wanted to try and play through the hackrom completely, but it's using the save file of the original game as well. I'm guessing editing the ISO is the one way that'd help me here.
Neither of the ways will affect saving. Anyway, if you want to do it by editing the ISO, open the opening.bnr file using a hex editor, search for the current name of the game, and overwrite it with something else without changing the total number of bytes in the file. If you have the PAL version of the game, there will be five instances of the name, one for each language. If you don't have a way to extract GC games to get individual files, you should be able to search through the entire ISO using a hex editor instead. Please note that the name you want to change is not the one at 0x20 (you can change that too if you want to, but it won't affect the game name in Dolphin's list) - the one you want to change is much later. If there's more than one name (NTSC)/five names (PAL) in the ISO (not counting the one at 0x20), editing the wrong one(s) will probably cause problems, so be careful. How to know which one is correct is a bit trickier, so I'd prefer to skip describing it if it isn't necessary.

EDIT: Oh, and remember to clear the game list cache in Dolphin afterwards. The old name will probably be displayed in the game list otherwise.
I've extracted opening.bnr from the ISO and edited like so:

Spoiler:
After importing it into the ISO again, however... Dolphin doesn't seem to accept the changes:

Spoiler:
Am I doing anything wrong here? As a note, I changed the ISO.hdr file as well, hence why the Internal Name and ID are different.
Right, there are 2 or 10 names in opening.bnr, not 1 or 5... I forgot that there are both short and long versions.

Did you make sure to use Tools > Purge Game List Cache?
No I did not. That fixed it, though the game still loads the same save file as the original game. I'm guessing it's impossible to make it use its own save file?
Changing which save file it uses could require changes deeper into the game itself. I can't help you with it.
Ahh, okay then. Well, thanks for your help, anyway!