Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 Causing Internet Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

Got a new, relatively weird issue with Dolphin 5.0 that makes no sense.

Basically, whenever Dolphin is open (it doesn't need to be running any games, just having the UI open is enough) the download speeds on the device I'm running it on slows to a crawl; I go from ~80mbps to 0.3mbps (according to speedtest) upload speeds, however, seem to be fine. Closing Dolphin fixes the issue, and brings my speed back up to normal (checked via speedtests, and when doing some network transfers across my devices). I first noticed it on my Surface Book, and have tested multiple devices but have only had 2 in total (including the SB) that has the issue. The second was an older Acer laptop, and experiences the same issue. I've also tested it on my gaming desktop with a wired connection, my work desktop with a wireless connection, and a Surface Pro 2 with a wireless connection and none of the other devices have issues. I did mention it on another forum, and someone else reported the issue on a desktop via wifi but it wasn't as bad as mine (they only dropped to ~20-40mbps vs their 150mbps connection). 

The weird part is, Dolphin isn't using any bandwidth whatsoever. I've checked multiple network traffic controllers across each device and not a single one is reporting Dolphin using any bandwidth at all. I've got all network-related settings turned off, no Net play and usage statistics is turned off. I didn't have this issue with any of the 4.0 builds, this only started after grabbing 5.0

I've checked just about everything I can think of, including reinstalling network drivers on the two devices that had the issues, using Netbalancer to completely limit Dolphin from using any bandwidth, trying various dev builds, testing it on other wifi networks to see if it might just be a weird router issue and nothing seems to change. 

I assume it's just a strange bug with a small, select number of network adapters but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone has any ideas or anything I should try I'd love to hear it.

And if anyone has a Surface Book (specifically, an i5 model with the modified 940m in the keyboard though I doubt it matters since the network adapters are the same across all models) and wants to test the issue to see if it's actually a hardware issue and not just me that'd be great, too. 
Maybe it's libusb being spooky with USB devices again.
Libusb is disabled unless the GameCube Adapter is selected in the controllers panel. suprgamr232 if you are using that, maybe disable it?
Don't have a Gamecube adapter, I'm using an Xbox One controller