Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 will not open on Mac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JoelOkimoto

I've just downloaded the latest Dolphin (5.0) for Mac but before it property opens I get a message that 'Dolphin unexpectedly quit' [Image: N5U5pcU.png]

I have never had this issue with Dolphin 4.0. Does anybody have a possible solution to this?
You need a newer version of OS X.

macemulator

(07-04-2016, 12:00 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You need a newer version of OS X.

I am having the exact same problem. Running OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks on my 2008 Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB

As soon as it opens it brings up the same message and crashes without even being able to use it. Is it not compatible with Mavericks and it needs to have Yosemite or El Capitan in order to load and run?
(07-10-2016, 05:14 AM)macemulator Wrote: [ -> ]Is it not compatible with Mavericks and it needs to have Yosemite or El Capitan in order to load and run?

Exactly.
Nice. You support a 7-year-old version of Windows, but not a 3-year-old version of OS X. I'm willing to bet it's partly Apple's fault, but what's the dev team's reasoning behind not supporting anything older than OS X Yosemite?
Because nobody actively maintains the OS X version of Dolphin. If it outright breaks across the board somebody may go and figure out whats wrong, but for things like this nobody stepped up and cared. Especially considering OS X OS upgrades are free. If your MacBook / iMac doesn't support the newest OS X, it likely isn't fast enough to run Dolphin anyways.
Basically that's what happened to Windows XP. Something broke after 4.0.2 release and nobody noticed for a few weeks. Then we dropped 32-bit support and XP got the cut because the 64-bit XP never worked anyways with Dolphin.
Like Helios said, if your Mac doesn't support OSX 10.10, then it's older than 2009, and thus running a CPU/GPU combination that Dolphin won't run well on