Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Migrating from 3.0 to 5.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I last used Dolphin back in 2012 and had settings back then perfectly set up. Can I just install over 3.0 or should I start fresh with 5.0? If starting fresh from 5.0, what files do I need to move from 3.0 to 5.0? I know that StateSaves are where your saves are saved at but I am not sure about the rest in the User folder as old settings may be obsolete and may conflict with the newer version. I also noticed there is no Plugins folder no more. Thx in advance.

[attachment=14933]
It would only make sense to copy your gamecube memory cards, and your wii saves/your wii nand. The Savestates won't work anymore, and a clean start with the settings is a good idea anyways after a long time.
(07-03-2016, 09:34 AM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]It would only make sense to copy your gamecube memory cards, and your wii saves/your wii nand. The Savestates won't work anymore, and a clean start with the settings is a good idea anyways after a long time.

User/GC (Gamecube MC) and User/Wii (Wii Nand Root) correct? Is the User/Wii also where Wii saves are stored as well? Just realized StateSaves are just custom dolphin saves for any location/time for a game and not the actual game saves. That being said, I do see StateSaves in 5.0 as well so why would it not work no more?
Savestates are not compatible between different versions of Dolphin because it is basically a snapshot of what the code is trying to execute. If you change how the code executes, then you can't reload that old snapshot since its expecting different things.
(07-03-2016, 11:46 AM)Morisato Wrote: [ -> ]User/GC (Gamecube MC) and User/Wii (Wii Nand Root) correct? Is the User/Wii also where Wii saves are stored as well? Just realized StateSaves are just custom dolphin saves for any location/time for a game and not the actual game saves.

All of those are correct.
Thanks. Migration successful.