Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Unofficial] New Dolphin 5.0 CPU benchmark - results automatically updated!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
This is the third time I'm typing this because every time I wanted to undo something I typed, I would do a ctrl+z but, for whatever reason, it would undo everything and reset the text field back to the default (containing nothing but the quoted post).

So apologies if my reply seems a bit lacking on details.

You must enter a username Wrote: [ -> ]your in luck i have a system with an 8600 gt and a E6550 core 2 duo i can run twilight princess (GC) its most likely gonna run like garbo but i can test it for you i also have a c2q q6600 i can test as well and a pentium d830 and a pentium E5700 its gonna take alot of time as i dont have windows installed on the box.
That'd be great, and don't worry about it if you take forever. The easiest thing to do would probably be to just work with a stock copy of Dolphin 5.0 with the default settings (other than setting speed limit to "unlimited") and just use the gamesave from the old Wind Waker benchmark:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-th...-benchmark

An alternative game idea would be to use a virtual console game like, say, Super Metroid, and just sit on the file select screen and make note of the FPS; the idea is that this should have very little GPU load which should minimize the chance of a GPU bottleneck.
Tested on my GPD Win (Windows handheld / UMPC the size of a 3Ds XL)
CPU: Atom Z8700 2.4Ghz

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzeursM...kxyME9rZDQ

results might be a little off because the device was downloading Windows updates in the background.

actually I'm wondering.
What are the results on a actual Wii or Gamecube?
(06-14-2017, 12:37 AM)nex86 Wrote: [ -> ]What are the results on a actual Wii or Gamecube?

Should be about the same result as Dolphin set to 100% speed on PC that isn't too slow.
Hey! I was hoping I could get some help making sense of these results.

The context is that I'm trying to build a living room PC and want to build a system that's either value-centric, or go above-and-beyond and get powerful but energy-efficient parts.

If I'm trying to select a CPU that can handle running effectively any game in Dolphin, around what "score"/times should I be aiming for? Going a step further, if I want a system that can handle PCSX2, will a computer that smokes Dolphin "surely" be good enough? What about emulating Wii U?

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about the GPU. In the end, it's possibly going to be influenced by my case choice, but I do have a 980 which has historically had no problem emulating older games. If it fits and looks fine in the system, it'll probably be what I stick with.
A GTX 980 should be plenty, as for the CPU 7 minutes should be good?
(06-24-2017, 05:54 AM)zovc Wrote: [ -> ]Hey! I was hoping I could get some help making sense of these results.

The context is that I'm trying to build a living room PC and want to build a system that's either value-centric, or go above-and-beyond and get powerful but energy-efficient parts.

If I'm trying to select a CPU that can handle running effectively any game in Dolphin, around what "score"/times should I be aiming for? Going a step further, if I want a system that can handle PCSX2, will a computer that smokes Dolphin "surely" be good enough? What about emulating Wii U?

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about the GPU. In the end, it's possibly going to be influenced by my case choice, but I do have a 980 which has historically had no problem emulating older games. If it fits and looks fine in the system, it'll probably be what I stick with.

GPU power is important if you want to enhance the games, but for emulation speed the most important aspect is still single core performance.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html - Processors with a 1600 or higher are the recommended minimum for PCSX2 and if you want to handle even the demanding games (there are still some that are not going to be fast even with this though) the goal to aim for is 2,000+.  If you want to use Citra or Cemu then the 2000+ is the range you want to look at  (this might change up or down in the future as the emulators mature more)

At that level you will find energy efficient parts like the G4620 and the G3258 (this one can be overclocked which might kill the energy efficient) as you go up the chart you will notice the trend that Hasswell (ix 4xxx) or newer i5 and i7 CPUs are generally the best performers.  Unless you want to do content creation or something else that actually benefits from more cores then an i5 is as high as you will need to go.
Thanks for the reference point. I can try to use that score and compare CPUs in my price range to their performance-per-watt now.

Is there a tangible benefit (in Dolphin) to going with an i5 versus a hyper-threaded 2-core CPU?
The biggest advantage in any emulator with going for a quad core over a hyper threaded dual core is just getting 2 full cores to be able to take advantage of multi core enhancements on games that do not suffer from issues when using it. If you have a dual core then background processes are running on at least one of those cores, if you have a quad then you can (depending on OS) try to isolate those processes to cores that will least effect the emulation.

That being said the actual impact will vary depending on many factors from how much extra headroom your processor has, to how much is going on in the background, to how efficiently the OS is able to manage resources and other things. Basically it is a very nice to have, but depending on your budget (price and power) it is not a must have.
[attachment=16351

I figured I would post my results as well. Only saw one AMD and that was a Ryzen 5. I have a AMD FX4350 at stock 4.20Ghz, 8 gb of DDR3 and Radeon R7 370 2 GB on Win 7 64. 

Dragonstongue

my results..
seems I did better than I would have expected 9m, 49s is actually faster than many that tend to be fairly faster in most other things (am happy)

Wish the audio was not stutter as it tends to be with Dolphin 5.0 but it is what it is and looks very pretty Smile 

my system 
Win 7 64 Ultimate
Phenom II 955 clocked to 3.7g (980 levels) @1.344v HT speed 2056 NB speed 2673 (reported by windows) cooled by Hyper 212 plus cooler (dual of same fan it ships with P/P)
Asus M5A99X EVO (v1)(BIOS 1708) (CPU/GPU both using MX4 paste)
G.Skill [color=#545454]F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL running 9,9,9,25,35 at 1645 mhz 
[/color]MSI Radeon 7870 TFIII OC 2gb (current clock 550/650 (core-mem) 0.863v (when it choose to listen lol) Catalyst 12.10 driver (because adrenalin etc really do not work well for me)
Dual SSD Crucial MX200 500gb primary Crucial MX100 256gb secondary
Seasonic G650 PSU
Fractal Define C with 3x CF-V12HPB as intake fans and the stock fractal fans for exhaust and intake for underneath help cool the SSD/HDD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14