Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii games freezing on D3D backend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I am a long time Dolphin user. I mostly use the latest development builds from GIT that I refresh every couple of weeks and now after moving to the latest 5.0-90 I have found a weird bug. I wanted to use a custom ini to set D3D backend for Kirby's Return to Dream Land, as OpenGL backend has a shadow rendering issues, and the game froze upon startup - just black screen. I was using OpenGL backend for a very long time, so I switched to D3D and found out that all of my Wii games will freeze on D3D backend no matter the settings - listed as "Application Hang" ID 1002 in Windows Event Viewer. Interestingly enough all GameCube games works fine with D3D backend.
Any info how to fix this?

Specs: Dolphin 5.0-90, Windows 7 x64, 16GB RAM, CPU i5-3570K, GPU R9 280, Catalyst 16.3.2

Thanks  Smile
There's a crash problem when setting the graphics backend in per-game INIs, so please avoid doing that. Hopefully it will be fixed at some point in the future. I'm not sure if that matches the behavior you're describing, though.
(06-28-2016, 07:13 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]There's a crash problem when setting the graphics backend in per-game INIs, so please avoid doing that. Hopefully it will be fixed at some point in the future. I'm not sure if that matches the behavior you're describing, though.

Well at first I thought that is the issue, so I deleted the ini I created and switched to D3D backend through the settings. Then I found that D3D backend generally freezes with any Wii game.
I further analyzed the issue and found out that the problem is the fullscreen mode. Wii games boots fine in window using D3D backend, fullscreen will freze on black screen. I attached some screenshots of the Dolphin log.

Related thread - https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-bl...ent-builds