Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Confused about 30fps and lagging
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jacob

Hey everyone, I apologize for this post, as it may come across as me trolling. I have a feeling this is a bad question.

Anyway, I was playing Mario Kart Double Dash. On time trials, it runs at 60fps and runs fine. It looks just like it does on the GameCube. But if I go in Dolphin's settings and limit the game to 30fps, or 50% (or try playing a Grand Prix with it limited at 100%), everything is in slow motion and the sound is way off. I thought the GameCube played most games at 30fps, so why does this feel so slow?

I read all over reddit and other places that consoles play games at 30fps, and 60fps looks much better. But when I watch a 30fps YouTube video, or someone playing on the console, it looks smooth enough and runs well. It's not lagging, and the audio isn't in slow motion.

So why is DD unplayable at 30fps, and not the same speed as 100% minus the same fluidity? I played a few other games like Chibi-Robo and it's the same. Only above 50fps seems playable. Is there a way to play games at 30fps but still have them run at a normal speed, to help my terrible laptop run the games?

I'm using Dolphin 5.0. I had the same problem on 4.5. My laptop has terrible Intel HD 3000 internal graphics and a sandy bridge i3, but I don't think that matters with this question.

Please forgive me if I'm an idiot.
Different games run at different FPS, MK: DD runs at 60 FPS (depending on the number of humans playing).

Edit: 6,666th post
IF you set to Dolphin to run at 100%, then the game will run at whatever native fps it was designed for, be that 30 or 60.
YouTube videos are 30 fps because of how Youtube encodes them.
This sounds like your computer wasn't able to achive the full 60 fps, and because of vsync, it will skip every second frame. Try to disable vsync