Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 stuttering and dropping frame :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was really looking forward to this release of Dolphin, but for my rig it seems a step back.

My specs are in my sig, but the older official builds and even the ishikura builds run most titles 100% perfectly, with DX11 or OpenGL. Most noticeably they run the Galaxy games perfectly with hi-res textures applied.

However, the new 5.0 is choppy as hell regardless of resolution and keeps stuttering on most titles. Is there something I'm missing here?

Huh
Thanks
Is it a brief stutter when you enter new areas? Because that would be the shader cache being generated.
If its a constant stuttering or slowdown there may be a deeper issue.
It's constant stuttering and slowdown. No issues with earlier versions Sad
(06-25-2016, 11:33 PM)LordBarker Wrote: [ -> ]It's constant stuttering and slowdown. No issues with earlier versions Sad

I just posted a similar thread.  I'm also having major FPS slowdowns.  Latest 4.0 dev build allowed me to play Sunshine at 60FPS (I could even play with the high res texture pack).  Now, I'm getting 15-20 FPS at best without any custom textures.  This slowdown is constant and doesn't matter if I'm in the hub or in a specific level.  

I did try Paper Mario TYD and I'm getting mostly 30FPS with that game.  Star Wars Rogue Leader?  5-10 FPS.  Again, these games work on 4.0 but I assume 5.0 just requires a much more powerful processor?
5.0's requirements have shifted.

You don't need a crazy powerful CPU anymore, but GPU requirements have gone up a little bit. (Basically, we recommend anything stronger than an intel iGPU)
Compared to the last 4.0 dev build, the requirements haven't shifted at all. If you're getting different performance in 5.0 than 4.0-9508, something is wrong.
(06-26-2016, 12:37 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Compared to the last 4.0 dev build, the requirements haven't shifted at all. If you're getting different performance in 5.0 than 4.0-9508, something is wrong.

Not quite sure what's going on. I tried F-Zero, Twilight Princess, and a few other games. All seem to play fine without issue. Not sure if the heat effect is causing slowdown in Sunshine or what, but it's crawling. I'll continue messing with the specs and will reinstall the latest dev build to compare FPS and will report back. Regardless, I will be building a new computer after the new Polaris cards come out next week so this should be temporary for me.
I've just tried a slightly older Ishikura build and it pre-loaded textures in 0.7 seconds. In Dolphin 5.0 it's taking 32 seconds!? If I turn off V-sync and overclock my GPU further I still get the same stuttering issues, so it's clearly an issue elsewhere. Any ideas what's causing this hideous stuttering and audio to go in and out of sync in 5.0?
(06-26-2016, 04:20 AM)LordBarker Wrote: [ -> ]I've just tried a slightly older Ishikura build and it pre-loaded textures in 0.7 seconds. In Dolphin 5.0 it's taking 32 seconds!?

Are you using Hypatia's Wind Waker texture pack or some other texture pack that contains JPEG files? If so, Ishiiruka doesn't load any of the JPEG files, so it has less work to do when pre-loading.
Nope. They are .DDS. Even without texture packs 5.0 runs awfully. It literally is running at around 2/3 of the speed of the older Dolphin builds - very odd. Rogue Leader runs at 60fps, with massive sudden drops to 15-25fps, makes no sense to me.