Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin shows only a black screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mythbu101

Hi,

I thought that I might try Dolphin to test how it performs. Therefore I got me a GDR8164B and created a "backup" Cool of one of my games. I had a little bit of trouble doing it on Windows (it didn't worked since Windows literally hung when the DVD was inserted and all programs which accessed the drive hung also) so I switched to Linux and tried it using friidump [1] and got a backup.

I then fired up Dolphin (the stable and the latest development version 4.0-9505), opened the ISO, but all I get is a black screen. I tried it on three computers:

* Desktop with i5 4460 4x3.2 GHz and 8GB RAM using the on-board video card (Intel HD 4000) on Windows 8.1 (with DX11) and Ubuntu 15.04 (OpenGL) and got a black screen (both x64)
* MacBook Pro Retina with i5 2,7 GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 on Mac OS X 10.11 and got a black screen (x64)
* an old white MacBook from ~ 2012 with slower processor 2 GHz core duo, 4 GB RAM and Nvidia GeForce 9400M (x64) and got a black screen

all tests were done with at least Dolphin 4.0-9505 or 4.0.2 (stable) and every time I get a black screen.

My question is as simple as: what's my mistake?

I have some presumptions:
* Maybe my backup isn't correct? Do you have any ideas how to test this assumption? I'm currently creating a second backup to test if they both have the same SHA256 checksum to exclude any inconsistencies in the backup. Any other ideas?
* Do I need to connect a controller? (Because it says "Not connected" in the bottom right corner)
* Maybe my graphics cards (essentially on-board cards) are not good "enough"? But even on "Software renderer" I should see something.

Regards,
mythbu101
It's very possible that there's a problem with your backup. Dumping on a PC isn't always reliable from what I've heard. In development versions of Dolphin (and the upcoming 5.0), you can check the MD5 hash of the game by right-clicking on the game, picking Properties, going to the Info tab and pressing Compute. You can then compare that to hashes that are available online.

Not connecting a controller will only make a game uncontrollable. It will still display graphics properly.

Unless you can hear sound from the game, your graphics card is probably not the problem.