Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Multiplayer help w/ multiple keyboards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

angryskills

Hi I am new to this forum and im not even sure if this is the right place to ask about this.

I have been using the Dolphin wii + gamecube emulator for a while now. However, i have only tried playing by myself, that is, i have never played with two people in the same game on the emulator.

I have heard that some people use joysticks or pads but what my question really is, is it possible to have 2 (two) keyboards )(on a laptop, one built in, one connected by USB) hooked up to dolphin? When I tried, dolphin doesn't recognize the 2nd one as a separate device. Is there some way to make this possible? Are there any other household objects that can be used to play multiplayer??

Thanks soo much in advance.

Hope I can figure this out.

-Angryskills
As far as I know, the operating system treats a key press from the first keyboard the exact same way as a key press from the second keyboard. That means that you can't for instance map moving to the arrow keys for both players, but you could map it to WASD for one player and arrow keys for the other, as long as the players agree to not press the other player's buttons on their keyboard.

angryskills

Great advice thanks Big Grin Speaking of that idea, does anyone know if there is some sort of program that disables say player 2s inputs so he literally can't press player 1st controls?

Thanks soo much
Just don't map the same keys Tongue
The best way to solve this would be to get a game pad controller for both of you. Or at least one of you, the other can use the keyboard.

angryskills

thank you for all the great ideas.

What are the best controllers as far as compatibility?

Thanks soo much
Most people use an Xbox 360 controller, as its widely supported and is cheap
The Logitech F310 is similar to the Xbox 360 controller, but has the PlayStation stick layout. Its cheaper, but also less ergonomic.
The Xbox One and Ps4 controllers are really nice for playing games, but are more expensive. The PS4 controller also requires extra software to be downloaded from the internet.
You could also get a Gamecube controller and a Wii U adapter, install special drivers, and have the most native controls possible.