Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop mobile GPU performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Locke

Hi all, just wanted to ask a few questions about my current setup. I'm using a laptop at the moment and the specs are:

i7 4712MQ
GT 940M 2GB
8 GB x 1 (not sure of the ram speed)
1 TB 5400 RPM HDD

I'm aware that my cpu is quite good for a laptop (I'm not sure if it's on the one benchmark page I saw, but the 4700MQ was so I'm going off of that), but what concerns me is my mobile GPU. As far as I'm concerned, I have a GPU bottleneck but my system handles pretty well with modern titles at around 720p. I plan on playing through the metroid prime trilogy at 720p 60fps and I was just wondering if my system was too underpowered for that task.
It'll be fine.

Just note the metroid games will have shader compilation stutter. Once the shaders compile as each effect is rendered, the stuttering will go away as the shaders will be cached on disk.

Locke

(06-21-2016, 12:29 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]It'll be fine.

Just note the metroid games will have shader compilation stutter. Once the shaders compile as each effect is rendered, the stuttering will go away as the shaders will be cached on disk.

Will that be a persistent problem, or is it just one and done for each game? Thanks for the quick reply.
Each game will need to compile shaders for the effects that it uses. Once compiled, it's done and will stay cached on disk until you update Dolphin again. These shaders are compiled as soon as the effect is needed. A better solution is in place after 5.0 that will remove shader compilation stuttering entirely.

Some games barely need to compile shaders, some need to compile a ton (Metroid)