Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How come this happens?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How come I try to make it the most perfect settings ever, my frame rate on games like SSB and SMG2 stutters on the FPS from time to time. Is it because I'm using a HDD then a SSD? Or is it because my TV is so big for the display?
Getting small stuttering occasionally is a problem that's inherent to Dolphin. The problem is that graphics shaders can't be compiled until right when they need to be used, so there will be short pauses if they take too long to compile.
(06-18-2016, 05:37 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Getting small stuttering occasionally is a problem that's inherent to Dolphin. The problem is that graphics shaders can't be compiled until right when they need to be used, so there will be short pauses if they take too long to compile.

Will this be fixed soon? Is there anyway to fix this in the current dev emulator?
(06-19-2016, 06:51 AM)kjpsonic Wrote: [ -> ]Will this be fixed soon?

I don't know when it will be improved.

(06-19-2016, 06:51 AM)kjpsonic Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anyway to fix this in the current dev emulator?

No, other than playing the game enough to make the stuttering go away. Each time a shader is compiled, it will be added to the shader cache, so it won't have to be compiled again unless you change Dolphin version or GPU.
(06-19-2016, 07:02 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know when it will be improved.

No, other than playing the game enough to make the stuttering go away. Each time a shader is compiled, it will be added to the shader cache, so it won't have to be compiled again unless you change Dolphin version or GPU.

I hope some dev out there can improve this because I always thought it was my stuff that's bugging it out for the FPS. Please fix this, the emulator will be perfect for it before the next stable release comes to mind.
There's not enough time before the next stable release to get it included.
(06-19-2016, 07:33 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]There's not enough time before the next stable release to get it included.

I don't understand, it's not like you guys are on a time limit to complete the next stable version are you? I'd rather have you devs take time into making it better then rush a project on it's own.
Don't worry. Dolphin 5.0 is not the end. Development builds will still continue and eventually Dolphin 6.0 will release at some point (far far in the future). They rather have a proper working 5.0 so they can starting messing up again Smile. Adding new features or changing existing systems tends to break a lot of stuff, which require even more time to fix that again, we don't want that on such a short term before 5.0.

You could consider Dolphin 5.0 as an achievement in reverse engineering. The better stuff works the better you can break it again, hehe. But seriously, there is no use in implementing an Ubershader system or similar if they are still issues in the current systems.
(06-19-2016, 07:43 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Don't worry. Dolphin 5.0 is not the end. Development builds will still continue and eventually Dolphin 6.0 will release at some point (far far in the future). They rather have a proper working 5.0 so they can starting messing up again Smile. Adding new features or changing existing systems tends to break a lot of stuff, which require even more time to fix that again, we don't want that on such a short term before 5.0.

Yeah but that's something that needs to be fixed to have a best experience for all games as a whole. Especially project m because it happens quite often.
Time and patience my friend, time and patience. Rome was not build in one day, neither was Dolphin. It is an iteration process. Keep improving all the time. Systems get added, get improved and the cycle continues. It is not that simple (nor fast) to have an one-solution-fits-all games made in one day. You can either hack your way around it, which should be faster to implement, but that would keep causing issues or as it should be, a working universal system.
Pages: 1 2