Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: X360 controller with IR settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
I've been using Dolphin for a while now(with Skyward Sword) and I decided to try a few other games. While I do own a WiiMote + Sensor bar(to play SS with), I want to try using my wired Xbox 360 controller. I've been able to get it working for most games, but some other games(Super Mario Galaxy, for instance) I can't really get working, because I need to 'point with the WiiMote'. These are the settings I'm using. Whenever I move my right joystick, the little IR ''display'' moves the way I move my joystick, but whenever I get in a game the cursor simply doesn't show up :/
Thanks in advance!
As far as I now with the Wii Pointer and Analog Stick Controllers. The Wii Pointer resets to the center as soon you releash the Analog Stick. It is not like using the mouse, with has support for both a relative and absolute position. A relative mouse position is the exact location on the screen there the mouse pointer is located. An absolute mouse position is the velocity you thrust the mouse in a certain direction, as soon you stop the mouse it resets back to the origin position. An analog control stick on a xbox controller uses an absolute position, thus as soon you releash the control stick it resets back to the center. What Dolphin needs is indeed a relative position for controllers. As far I am aware, relative controller positions are not supported... yet...

Besides, you might want to use the keyboard and mouse, which plays superior with Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2, honestly, I never had a better control scheme with a keyboard and mouse for the galaxy games. Just another reason why Dolphin triumphs over a real Wii limited to playing the game with a Wii Remote.

Relative mouse position is shown as "Cursor Y-", "Cursor Y+", "Cursor X-" and "Cursor X+", while absolute mouse position is shown as "Axis Y-", "Axis Y+", "Axis X-" and "Axis X+".
(06-18-2016, 07:08 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I now with the Wii Pointer and Analog Stick Controllers. The Wii Pointer resets to the center as soon you releash the Analog Stick. It is not like using the mouse, with has support for both a relative and absolute position. A relative mouse position is the exact location on the screen there the mouse pointer is located. An absolute mouse position is the velocity you thrust the mouse in a certain direction, as soon you stop the mouse it resets back to the origin position. An analog control stick on a xbox controller uses an absolute position, thus as soon you releash the control stick it resets back to the center. What Dolphin needs is indeed a relative position for controllers. As far I am aware, relative controller positions are not supported... yet...

Besides, you might want to use the keyboard and mouse, which plays superior with Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2, honestly, I never had a better control scheme with a keyboard and mouse for the galaxy games. Just another reason why Dolphin triumphs over a real Wii limited to playing the game with a Wii Remote.

Huh.. Interesting. I didn't think about using KBM for a console game like this. After thinking about it, absolute > relative makes sense.. Could I have your keybindings for SMG?
Well... That depends on how many mouse buttons you have and if you are right-handed or left-handed (I have an ambidextrous mouse). I rebinded my mouse buttons to be a bit differently with Razor Cortex Software (you don't have most likely the same keyboard bindings on your mouse). But it is quite simple.

The jump button (A on Wii Remote) should be Left Mouse Button ("Click 0). I assume you are right-handed? Otherwise you mirror the settings on your mouse.
The star bit button (B on Wii Remote) should be Middle Mouse Button ("Click 2").
The spin shake (which is Shake X) should be Right Mouse Button ("Click 1"). Shake X seems to work the most accurate for doing a spin attack. You never have to shake a Wiimote again.
The Wiimote D-pad buttons are not that important, bind them to your numpad for example. It is for camera movement.
The menu buttons (which are both + and -) could be set to Enter for example, not that imporant to have close access to. But you need it to access the menu, both buttons act the same.
Buttons 1 and 2 on the Wiimote are not used in this game.

Wiimote Sensor:
Up should be "Cursor Y-".
Down should be "Cursor Y+".
Left should be "Cursor X-".
Right should be "Cursor X+".
Don't confuse with "Axis". With a mouse, star bit collecting has never been more accurate.

Wiimote Tilting for Minigames:
Bind Forward, Backward, Left and Right to W, S, A and D respectively for example. You need to enable the "Wiimote Standing Up" option (or how it is called). This is needed with the Rolling game minigame, the flying bird minigame or the ray surfing minigame.

Use the Nunchuk Extension:
Up, Down, Left, Right should be you keyboard arrows. Pretty straight forward.
Ducking and Long Jumping (Z on Nunchuk) should be Mouse Button 4 or 5 (hence why you need at least 4 mouse buttons for SMG).
The first person camera (C on Nunchuk) can be bound to the other side Mouse Button (4 or 5).
You want ducking to have available on a side mouse button which is accesible for your thumb. Click and hold the duck button while pressing the left mouse button to long-jump.

If you have more than five mouse buttons, you can bind + and - to your mouse too. Or the Wii Home Button.
Just leave the numeric values as they are (50 being default for each, while Wiimote Tilt Corner is 90, Nunchuk Tilt Corner is 90, Nunchuk Control Stick Radius is 100 and Battery is 100).

In short, bind the movement buttons to your keypad and all action buttons (jumping, ducking, star bits and spinning) to your mouse. There are only four important action buttons to use. The rest is just for minigames, camera movement and menu's. You don't really move the camera a lot in SMG. That is why a keyboard and mouse is perfect. Zelda however requires too many buttons so a controller is better in that case.
Hey, thanks for the reply!
I followed your guide and it really makes sense why KBM is better now; I can allready imagine myself playing the game after how-many-years again, but this time in a reborn fashion Tongue
Sadly I'm running into some problems again; I followed your instructions (actually switched your instructions for WASD and arrow keys) but still, I can't get my mouse working with the IR-settings. The cursor simply doesn't appear once I'm inside of the game, after pressing A+B. For some reason, the little IR-display thingy is tripping major balls when I move my mouse around aswell. (https://gfycat.com/ContentOpenDeviltasmanian)
Also, I have a mouse with 11 buttons(total), so I ended up putting Z, C and 1 near my thumb, and Home near my pinky/ringfinger.
By the way, not sure if it matters, but I'm on 4.0-9327.
Hmm, it sound like you have Upright Wiimote or Sideways Wiimote enable in your controller configuration. Make sure the Swing, Tilt and Shake functions are not interfering during gameplay. You mostly need Shake X for the spin attack and Tilt for minigames. Using Tilt causes the Wiimote to disappear for as long you are tilting (in this case pressing a button), so don't bind that to your keypad arrows.

Yea, your screenshot shows that Upright Wiimote is enabled, you only need it enabled in minigames, but during normal gameplay. Yea, I know it is a pain to switch, but minigames such as the star ball rolling don't work properly otherwise. Luckely, there are not that many minigames and you can leave Upright Wiimote enabled for the duration of the entire minigame. You also bound the Tilt functions to your keypad arrows which will interfere with the pointer. Bind it to WASD for example to leave it more out or reach. Or... You already bound movement to WASD.

Another issue with cursor movement is that your mouse needs to stay within the window of view. In this case, a configuration subwindow showing the IR. As long the mouse stays within the IR box it works. Leaving the window of view with the mouse causes the Dolphin sort of losing track where the cursor is supposed to be. Closing the tab and having the main gaming window enabled will let the mouse use that as the entire window of view. Normally I enabled the option "Render to Main Window" in the general tab of the Graphics settings. Having a separate windows for the configuration of Dolphin and the game itself might not work properly when using the mouse as a pointer. Just go into fullscreen mode. Should you run in 1080p, then your window of view for the mouse would be 1920 x 1080 pixels, thus reaching the entire screen. You should try the cursor out in the file selection screen of Super Mario Galaxy to know if it works.

The latest development builds works fine. So there is no need to use older builds. In fact, using the latest development build is for the best. Besides the potential conflict for Tilt and movement and having Upright Wiimote it seems correctly. You should test if the Wiimote Pointer can reach the edges of the game screen. It is like a real Wiimote. Getting out of reach of the sensor bar causes the Wii to lose track of where it is supposed to point. You are still emulating the movement of the Wiimote and not the movement of your mouse, but if done correctly it feels like normal mouse movement.