Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New config, enough or not for wii games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

noreign

Hi,

I m waiting the AMD RX480 to build a new pc. It's supposed to be like a 970/980 (we'll see that in a few days) for the obvious budget reason and also because i m playing on a full HD screen 1920*1080 which apparently does not deserve something like 10XX

So i would like to play old game and here i am to make sure it ll be fine

The config should be based on B150 because i m totally clueless about OC and it s cheaper i m not seeking about absolute ULTRA graphics, as long as i can play high @60 fps i m ok, so a 500 euro GPU is not my top priority...1080 is still at 780 euros here.... i m not expecting a 1070 under 500

Something like a MSI B150 gaming m3 mobo
I5 6500/6600 3.2 ghz/3.3 ghz
2*4G RAM 2133 mhz if it s enough
and RX 480 expecting performances as a 970 at least

Do you think it s ok or should i go on a Z170 with a I5 6600K ?

Thx
Depends on how long you want to keep the system.

If you want it to last for years, it may be worth investing the extra and getting a z-series chipset with a K-series CPU so you can overclock.

If you expect to upgrade in like, 2-3 years? the non-k is fine.

I would look at least at the 6600 though, the higher turbo boost will be nice.
(06-10-2016, 07:22 AM)noreign Wrote: [ -> ]The config should be based on B150 because i m totally clueless about OCĀ 

With the tech in boards these days, it's practically as simple as either clicking an option in the BIOS or hitting a physical button on the mobo and it does it for you

That and there are extensive tutorials all over the 'net (most of which may boil down to "raise clock, test, see if it crashes when testing, repeat")

noreign

Thx for your answers,

You re right, i know OC became easier, maybe it s time for me to learn.

Yeah... Now i need to find another mobo and extra saving.

Any idea for a good Z170 ?
Most Z170 boards are fine. Don't need an overly expensive one.

Overclocking is fairly simple if you let it be.

I've gotten away with just turning off turbo boost, turning off auto vcore voltage (setting it to stock in case your motherboard is dumb), and just bumping up the multiplier for both core and "uncore" 1-2 digits until it becomes unstable, then raising vcore by 0.05, maybe 0.1, and test again. Repeat until you're happy with the overclock or your temps get too high or you reach 1.3v (Never go above that. You'd be insane.)

Then bump the multiplier down one notch for stability peace of mind.

Lots of overclocking forums are pretty dumb and throw a *whole* bunch of terminology that really only matters for people who really really like to get as much as they possibly can out of their overclock. The only things you really need to care about is vcore voltage, and uncore (Keeping it the same as your core multiplier is ideal, but if you leave it alone you won't hurt anything).

noreign

Good to know, in any case i ll dig further when the time to OC will come

Thx again Smile

Just have to wait for AMD now