Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building a PC - what changes should I make
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jacob

Hello everyone, new guy here.

I'm saving up to build a gaming PC. I want to be able to run nearly any PC game at maximum settings, so I'm going to build the End-All build from Reddit (/r/pcmasterrace). Here are the stats:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card

Besides PC gaming, I'd also like to play GameCube and Wii games at the highest settings. I'm wondering if there are any changes I should make to the build to make the ultimate PC. First, how should I expect most games to run based on this hardware? How should I expect the most demanding games to run? And finally, the main question, could I make any changes here to make Dolphin run games better? More RAM, another processor, a better video card, etc? Or is the build ready for basically any game?

Thanks.
Perfectly fine. Maybe wait for Pascal if you care. If you don't, go for it. The 1070 would beat that 390 though, buuuuut everybody's recommending to just wait for better 1070s from 3rd party OEMs for better cooling and performance. So it's really up to you.

If you stick with the AMD GPU, stick with Direct3D backends in Dolphin for better performance.

EDIT: Get 2x4GB of RAM rather than 1x8GB. Dual channel is an easy thing you should have.
Your GPU . R9 390 is about $380 on amazon last time I check
R9 390 < R9 Nano < R9 Fury X < GTX Titan
GTX 1070 is faster than GTX Titan and cost about the same amount of money like R9 390
GTX 1070 Founder Edition has been released . You only have to wait for normal GTX 1070 from manufactures like MSI , EVGA , Gigabyte ....
Founder Edition is very expensive atm
You should not buy old cards , these cards will be obsoleted soon .

jacob

(06-06-2016, 03:00 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]You only have to wait for normal GTX 1070 from manufactures like MSI , EVGA , Gigabyte

How long would I have to wait for this? I'll probably have enough money to start buying the parts at the start of July, and if I don't make as much as I would like this month, I may have to wait until the end of July. So I'm not in a rush.
3 days . The release date of the GeForce GTX 1070 is set for 10th June 2016
Btw , here is 1070's review in case you missed it
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-geforce-gtx-1070-review/