Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin.exe stopped working after playing for one-two minutes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dah16BitDude

Whenever I open Dolphin, after one-two minute(s) (even when not even emulating yet) I get the error message: Dolphin.exe stopped working. I tried both stable and development versions and they both have the same problem, my specs are in my profile.
plz help Sad

Dah16BitDude

plz...

Dah16BitDude

really...
1. Use the latest development build, not 4.0 which is horrible outdated. Alternatively use the latest Ishiiruka build, but that is not supported here.
2. Do not spam your posts, your issue has been noticed. Just check back the next day for a solution. What is it these days that everything needs to be fixed here and here. Your issue is most likely not unique, try searching around the forums in the meantime.
3. Really... Buy a new PC. Your system is just too weak. An integrated Intel GPU is not the best way to go. Celeron CPU's are a bit on the cheap side, buy a i5 CPU for example instead. Emulation requires somewhat at least a decent CPU.

There is only so much the development team can do to improve performance and compatibility. Eventually it is up to you to maintain and upgrade your hardware and to stay up to date with the latest drivers and development builds. Dolphin is currently one of the more demanding functional emulators available. Don't expect Dolphin to run smoothly just because you are able to run lightweight emulators. I noticed you profile states that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is your favorite Wii game... Well... It is one of the most demanding games for Dolphin. Your specs are certainly not up for that. I would say you have more luck to run (let's say) New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Super Smash Bros. Melee.

You also seem to only have 4 GB of RAM, which is below the standard these days. You have not posted the details of your error, only stating that after 2 minutes you have a crash. I might not be uncommon if that is caused by the low amount of RAM. You don't happen to have custom textures enabled? Which Backend do you use? I would say OpenGL is best to stay, certainly do not use D3D12 because of your intergrated GPU. Did you try to reset all settings to default? Changing settings may often lead to issues.
1. bumping your thread repeatedly isn't the best way to get anybody to care about your issue. I'm actually more inclined to ignore a thread when I see it pointlessly bumped.

2. It's probably because something is wrong with your OS, this seems to be common with users who have the most barebones of PCs.

3. Your system is rather bad for Dolphin, but that's unrelated to why it's crashing.