Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mem Card Saves for diff versions of same game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wondering if it is at all possible to open memory card saves from one version of a game to another version? (Just to be clear here I am not talking about State saves, but Mem Card Saves)

I have the German version of Resident Evil 4 which I have saves with, but would like to open the Mem card saves in the USA version. Is this at all possible?

Also wondering where these memory card saves are saved for each game in Windows? When I load each different version of RE4 the saves for it are different, so which DIR each of them stored separately?

Cheers
Big Grin
Documents/Dolphin Emulator/GC

Anyways, PAL and NTSC memcards have to be kept separate.
(05-31-2016, 10:33 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Documents/Dolphin Emulator/GC

Anyways, PAL and NTSC memcards have to be kept separate.

gotcha. is it possible to open saves made on PAL games on an NTSC game?
Don't think so.
Sometimes you can edit the save file in a simple way to make it work on a different version of the game, but sometimes it's not feasible. It depends on the game. Either way, you have to edit it on your own.
you can actually modify most save files to work with a different region. There's probably tools out there, but I'm not knowledgable on it.
(06-01-2016, 06:41 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes you can edit the save file in a simple way to make it work on a different version of the game, but sometimes it's not feasible. It depends on the game. Either way, you have to edit it on your own.

yes I thought this might be the case so what I did was to open the PAL mem card file (.raw) using Memory Card Manger, and then export the memory card saves from this to .cgi files, and then try to insert those .cgi files into the USA mem card .raw file. That didnt work, so i altered the names to have the same game code in the tiles, but that didnt work either. Confused
(06-01-2016, 07:46 AM)Bluerose5 Wrote: [ -> ]yes I thought this might be the case so what I did was to open the PAL mem card file (.raw) using Memory Card Manger, and then export the memory card saves from this to .cgi files, and then try to insert those .cgi files into the USA mem card .raw file. That didnt work, so i altered the names to have the same game code in the tiles, but that didnt work either. Confused

You need to make edits inside the CGI file too. If you're lucky, you only need to change the game ID at the beginning of the file.
(06-01-2016, 07:58 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You need to make edits inside the CGI file too. If you're lucky, you only need to change the game ID at the beginning of the file.

Ill try that and keep you posted. thanks Big Grin