Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: question about purchasing mac book pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,

So I might be given the choice to buy a new laptop for school as part of a grant that i might receive...

Since I will be using it mostly for work I decided to go with a macbook pro and installing bootcamp on it with Windows 7.

Out of curiosity.. how well do you think it would run dolphin? (and other mor recent emulators such as pcsx2?).

If you know any other laptop that's powerful but can be used for work... can you recommend it? My budget is 2000.00 and it should look like a work laptop (sorry no alienware heads Wink ).

Here are the specs for the macbook pro

15-inch : 2.66GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB memory
320GB hard drive
SD card slot
Built-in 7-hour battery
NNVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
im sorry but i cant stand apple, i mean really? my laptop has almost the exact same specs except more gpu memory and an amd athlon dual @ 2.0ghz... and its 800 dollars... that means your paying 1200 for the cpu upgrade and a longer battery life. why exactly do you want the macbook pro so bad? im gonna search for a better deal Wink OMG THIS POST R L33T TEH BIG 1337 (sorry i had to do that for a certain member... you know who you are ;D)
if you truly want a work computer why not get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOD150-1920-1...648&sr=8-3
i think the best decision would be to buy a solid work computer (like 500 dollars maybe something like above) then spend the rest on a kick ass gaming comp but thats just me
Go for Intel! They RUL!!!!!!!!!!!
(10-05-2009, 02:49 PM)naroth Wrote: [ -> ]Go for Intel! They RUL!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH! THEIR GPUS ARE WHERE ITS AT!
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g51vxa1-order-p-2595.html
A million times more then the mac spec wise but may not look as "business". For 1.6k you get a serious system but if you spend more besides the 260m GTX Gpu (rapes the gtx 9600) you can get 2.8 ghz dual or stay with 2ghz quad. 2.8 with gtx260m will run dolphin at native res like a dream Smile
(10-05-2009, 03:18 PM)THELUKESTIR Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-05-2009, 02:49 PM)naroth Wrote: [ -> ]Go for Intel! They RUL!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH! THEIR GPUS ARE WHERE ITS AT!

I'm completely open to suggestions. My budgets is 2000 (including tax) so if you can find one that that you think may look good for work (I'm thinking Lenovo, Dell...) that would be great. It would not look good if someone saw me carrying a laptop with an alienhead or falcon on the cover. They'd think I didn't get only for work... which is the truth, but I don't want them to know that! Tongue

And let me put it this way, I have to spend the money. If i don't get as close to 2k as possible that money goes back to the organization that is giving me the grant to afford a work laptop (I'm currently on an EEE pc for a traveling laptop.. and it's killing my wrists).
(10-05-2009, 03:49 PM)unrealsword Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g51vxa1-order-p-2595.html
A million times more then the mac spec wise but may not look as "business". For 1.6k you get a serious system but if you spend more besides the 260m GTX Gpu (rapes the gtx 9600) you can get 2.8 ghz dual or stay with 2ghz quad. 2.8 with gtx260m will run dolphin at native res like a dream Smile

*edit, i responded to the wrong link* Oh hmm.. it passes the businessy test. NIce! thanks for the link, now I think i'll probably go with this one. Do you know if it comes with any fins, alien heads, falcon marks, racing stripes or any of those thing?
1,961.00 no tax (I don't live in Nebraska) and free shipping

OMG! Goodbye Mac...

ASUS G51VX-A1 ASUS G51VX-A1
- FREE !! UPS GROUND SHIPPING & Instant $30 OFF
(Use Coupon Code "freeship" in Checkout for Free Shipping) (US Shipping)
- 15.6" WUXGA FHD "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)
- ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee
- -Intel® T9600 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.8GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 35 watt
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - GPU
- nVidia GeForce GTX 260M 1,024MB PCI-Express DDR3 DX10
- No External Graphics Card
- No Video Adapter
- - 4,096MB (4GB) DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x2GB) - Default (Vista 64-Bit required to use 4GB+)
- Standard Finish
- - Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti 8X DVDRW Drive w/ Software
- - 320GB 7200RPM WD or Seagate (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default Hard Drive
- - 320GB 7200RPM WD or Seagate (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default Hard Drive
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- No Floppy Drive
- Internal 8-in-1 Card Reader: MMC/SD/Mini-SD/XD/Memory Stick/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo
- Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Built-in 802.11 Wireless A/B/G/N
- No Network Accessory
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Asus G Series Matching Backpack made by Targus
- Smart Li-ion Battery (6-Cell)
- No Car Adapter
- None Standard*
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- No Fingerprint Reader
- Asus G Series Matching Gaming Mouse & 2 ASUS EEE Sticks - Standard with System
- No Notebook Cooler
- -Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit + Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Coupon w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's - Standard
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- 2 Year ASUS GLOBAL Warranty, 24/7 Support, 1 Year Accidental Coverage & 2-Way Pre-Paid Overnight Shipping for Repairs (N.A. Accidental Requires Registration w/ ASUS)
No. On the back is just a standard asus logo and grey
F Apple.
I'm gonna purchase soon one of this two laptops:

ACER AS5738ZG
Monitor 15,6" HD Ready 720 pontos
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300 - 2,16 GHz
nVidia Geforce G 105M 512 MB
6 GB (4GB RAM DDR3+2GB MMC Turbo Boost)
Hard-Disc 500Gb
Webcam, Wi-Fi, HDMI
Windows® Vista Ultimate

or

Portátil INSYS G4M3Force HD 9761WTUN (Insys is a portuguese computer manufacturer)
Monitor 15.6” CinemaWide 16:9
CPU Intel Core2Duo T6600 2,2 GHz
nVidia G105M 512MB
4 Gb DDR2 800 + 4 Gb MMC TurboBoost
HDD 500 Gb SATA 5400
Webcam, Wi-Fi, HDMI e e-SATA

What should I choose? I have doubts about the processor and about the monitor.