Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need a Hardware Check :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, im new here and got a question.

I want to be able to play GC/Wii games in 1080p/60fps. Also it has to be quiet and small as possible. And of course cheap Tongue

I throwed me something together:

- Intel Core i3 6100 2x 3.70GHz So.1151 BOX

- MSI H110I PRO Intel H110 So.1151 Dual

- 2048MB Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti Strix OC

- 300 Watt be quiet! SFX Power 2 Non-Modular

- 8GB Crucial CT2K4G4DFS8213 DDR4-2133

- Silverstone Milo ML07

- Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B

this will cost me about 490€

Is this a good deal? Any recommendations what i could do better?

Please give me some feedback! thank you!  Smile
The CPU and GPU will be more than enough for Dolphin for 1080p at full speed. (Keep in mind some games are locked at 30fps.)
But IMO the power supply should be at least 400W, 300W does not seem like a lot with a dedicated GPU.

I'm not sure where you're from, but €490 seems a bit expensive.
Thanks for replying. The 300w is more than enough. When you look up all parts you will get to 195w max.

I'm from Germany, and this is the cheapest price for the parts here. Maybe I should switch something up?
That build according to pcppartpicker only draws I believe 172W, for a 300W power supply you would be okay. I looked up a quick review on that PSU model and it appears fine.

I would just be weary of upgrades without upgrading the PSU as well.

Also, just for your knowledge, not all GC/Wii games run at 60 FPS. Dolphin will run the game at what it was designed to run at. Could be 30, could be 60. However that hardware should be more than okay for 3x native resolution, aka 1080p. With Windows 10 and our experimental D3D12 backend, you can get even more graphical performance out of Dolphin in most games which will allow you to do things like turn SSAA up to silly levels without slowing down emulation speed.
Yes, it's fine but you'd be limited by it if you wanted to overclock your GPU or upgrade the CPU/GPU. I'd consider getting a 450 or 500W just in case if it is not too much more expensive and less efficient than this one.

@Helios: just a small question, is DX12 feature complete now? I don't use Windows but that does sound quite good.
Thank you for your reply! I know games like sms runs native in 30fps.
Are the components too much? I also want to use some 16:9 and like sms 30/60fps hacks though.
Not too much. When it comes to hardware, you typically want better and more than needed than less, or just barely enough Tongue

That build should run (almost?) everything for Dolphin just fine, including the SMS 60fps hack. Also, widescreen does not make it any more intensive.
With Stenzek's recent PR being merged, D3D12 is more or less feature parity with the other two hardware backends. Bugs are a different story, which is why it's still labeled experimental and will stay labeled as such for 5.0
(05-27-2016, 08:41 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Not too much. When it comes to hardware, you typically want better and more than needed than less, or just barely enough Tongue

That build should run (almost?) everything for Dolphin just fine, including the SMS 60fps hack. Also, widescreen does not make it any more intensive.

Thanks! Why do you think this build is too expensive?

Also do i need any special hardware to use HD Textures?
That build isn't too expensive at all. It's a pretty sweet build for a lot of things as well as Dolphin. Wink

You don't need any special hardware for HD texture packs. Just enough RAM. 8 GB should be fine unless you start trying to use INSANELY HUGE texture packs (Xenoblade's 4k texture pack comes to mind, you need more than 16 GB for that particular pack)

Considering you're gaming at 1080p, you don't really need to use 4k texture packs. Wink
Pages: 1 2