Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Changing game save directory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

edde479

Hi!
I wanted to change the save location on the game Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii because it uses the same save directory as New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Do someone have an idea how? Huh
Does Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii use the same game ID as New Super Mario Bros. Wii? There are two primary ways of using Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii (and most Wii mods in general, such as Project M). Either through the use of a SD card or by creating an ISO from it. Creating an ISO from it requires you to have the NSMB ISO Builder Mod4 tool (the current version of the tool is v1.04), along with a copy you own of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. If you use the SD card method then I am afraid you have to build an ISO of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii in order to solve your issue. Creating an ISO disc allows you to have a different game ID than the original game and therefore can have a separate save slot. The ISO builder works both with all possible NTSC-U and PAL versions of the game (even NTSC-J for some cases). Some mods may not support specific versions of the game. NTSC-U has three different revisions of the game: v1.00, v1.01 and v1.02.

The Newer team describes the SD method: Copy the files on a SD card, install the Homebrew Channel, load Riivolution from there, insert your game disc and launch the disc. Alternatively you can skip the Homebrew Channel part by using the LetterBomb technique. My guess is that you currently use a SD card, Homebrew Channel and Riivolution to launch Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii on Dolphin? I wouldn't know, I never used this method. I prefer having the NSMB ISO Builder tool instead.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (NTSC) uses game ID: SMNE01.
Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii (NTSC) uses game ID: SMNE03.
Another Super Mario Bros. Wii (NTSC) uses game ID: SMNE05.
Newer: Summer Sun (NTSC) uses game ID: SMNE06.
Newer: Holiday Special (NTSC) uses game ID: SMNE07.
That is of course, if you chose to rebuild each of them with a different game ID, otherwise it uses the SMNE01 game ID. There is also an option to have all mods use the same ID, which is most likely SMNE02? PAL Uses P instead of E as the fourth letter.

To run the Build_ISO_Patched.bat step by step (you need to search for the ISO builder tool yourself, I am not giving any links):
a) Choose the mod to apply (use 1 for Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii)
b) Use 0 to autodetect if you are not sure which version of New Super Mario Bros. Wii you own. You can check your game version within Dolphin: Right Click on NSMBW -> Properties -> Info -> Revision. Check the number.
c) Use 1 for ISO, there is no need for WBFS with Dolphin.
d) This is where you question gets answered, use 3 for having an unique game ID (and save slot) for each mod of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
e) Use 2, since the ISO builder package contains the banners for each compactable mod.

Confirm and proceed. Do not forget to place a copy of New Super Mario Bros. Wii you own in the root of the ISO builder folder.
I assume you know where to get the installation files for Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii. Place the installation files (which are 2 folders: the mod itself and riivolution) also in the root of the ISO builder folder.

edde479

Aahaaa, that's why. When I used the ISO builder I choosed nr 1, originally save slot or something...
I will try your method later.

Thanks for the help..

P.S My save id or something like that was KMNP03