Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Launching a game from system menu doesnt load custom textures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Booting Brawl from the System Menu (tools -> load Wii system menu 513E) does not load custom textures. I noticed this while playing around with the Homebrew channel. On the Dolphin wiki it is stated that the emulator can replace the Homebrew Channel - not entirely true. There are a lot of applets that require Homebrew channel, like one that skins the system UI, SuperTux, Project M, etc. Also, why has the texture format been changed since 3.5? 3.5 won't load any of my newer textures.

other things I noticed
Gecko 1.9 crashes Brawl when trying to load unoffical WiiRD codes (for Krystal to replace Peach), regardless of patch methods
Homebrew Browser freezes (from dumped NAND and IOS converted to WAD), no matter what
Trying to launch any channels just returns to the Wii menu (latest release, was released little less than 12 hours ago)
When Dolphin freezes and I have to use Task Manager to close it it reverts to OpenGL (which is broken to start with, games freeze within 5 seconds)
Using DSound with Dolby decoder produces no sound
Still that annoying black box with Mario Kart regardless of suggested fixes, slow af anyway
(05-26-2016, 08:49 PM)EagerStallion Wrote: [ -> ]Booting Brawl from the System Menu (tools -> load Wii system menu 513E) does not load custom textures.

Yes, this is a known problem. Dolphin will use the game ID of the software you load in Dolphin, which in this case is the system menu.

(05-26-2016, 08:49 PM)EagerStallion Wrote: [ -> ]On the Dolphin wiki it is stated that the emulator can replace the Homebrew Channel - not entirely true. There are a lot of applets that require Homebrew channel, like one that skins the system UI, SuperTux, Project M, etc.

Do those not work when you launch them in Dolphin? I've heard about lots of people using the Project M launcher successfully.

(05-26-2016, 08:49 PM)EagerStallion Wrote: [ -> ]Also, why has the texture format been changed since 3.5? 3.5 won't load any of my newer textures.

Because the old format was bad in various ways. Please read the "New Dolphin Custom Texture Format" section of https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...tures-info
(05-26-2016, 08:56 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, this is a known problem. Dolphin will use the game ID of the software you load in Dolphin, which in this case is the system menu.

Do those not work when you launch them in Dolphin? I've heard about lots of people using the Project M launcher successfully.

Because the old format was bad in various ways. Please read the "New Dolphin Custom Texture Format" section of https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...tures-info

A lot of them don't work or crash upon loading. Project M works great, I was just doing it wrong. I tried getting the Krystal mod for regular old Brawl to work with the latest Gecko OS and it crashed every time.

Mario Kart is plain useless on my system, dumped the ISO for no reason. Black box, slow, just plain bad.
(05-31-2016, 11:20 AM)EagerStallion Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of them don't work or crash upon loading. Project M works great, I was just doing it wrong. I tried getting the Krystal mod for regular old Brawl to work with the latest Gecko OS and it crashed every time.

Mario Kart is plain useless on my system, dumped the ISO for no reason. Black box, slow, just plain bad.

You should use the latest development version at the top of the download page, it has 1000s of fixes since 3.5 (if thats what you're using, just mentioning it from because you stated 3.5) my MKDD an MKWii work flawlessly when started from the gamebrowser and Wii works fine with WiiMenu as well (i did dump my Nand though)
We noticed in one of EagerStallion's screenshots that they're running on the software backend so that's why they're getting screwed.

Anyways, the system menu is known to have a lot of weird behaviors and limitations. I don't really recommend using it.
(06-01-2016, 11:53 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]We noticed in one of EagerStallion's screenshots that they're running on the software backend so that's why they're getting screwed.

No? The screenshot in https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-wh...#pid410759 is from phire, not EagerStallion. I don't know any other screenshot that you could be referring to.
And just FYI, we don't support anything older than latest stable version (currently 4.0.2) or the latest development build on those forums, so, try these first, it's very likely that most of your current issues are already fixed...
I use 3.5 to test things that aren't working properly in the latest dev build, which I check every day. Software rendering is always slower than hardware.
@Jhonn, how is your notebook's i7? Mine's almost the same (3612QM @2.1Ghz turbo 3.1) and once a new mobo arrives I'll have nVidia 630M.