Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: DolphinBar getting hot?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I've got the official DolphinBar from Mayflash. The bar itself works fine expect for this: When playing via Dolphin the right and left side of the bar gets quite hot. I think this is due to the IR lights. Touchable, of course, but not comparable to the original Nintendo bar which always stays cool (more or less).

Is this a normal behavior of the DolphinBar? It doesn't bothers me that much, but I think these high temps may be bad for the life of the IR LEDs?
It's because it runs way too much power into those IR lights.

Install the latest firmware update to make sure they're not on 24/7.
I already tried to update the firmware. As far as I know the most current firmware is from Sep 2015. The firmware updater says "newest version: 0x05" which my DolphinBar already was shipped with, so there is nothing to update.

Or do I miss here something?
Nah, you're fine then.

The update won't make the bar stop pumping way too much power into the IRs, just makes sure they're not running 24/7 and burn out.

They'll still get warm
Ok, alright. Fortunately they are switched off when not in use.

Guess this is a hardware design fault then? Did somebody try to just solder some resistors in line with the IR LEDs or something like that?
(05-26-2016, 11:16 AM)DC_Imagine Wrote: [ -> ]Guess this is a hardware design fault then?

Yes.

(05-26-2016, 11:16 AM)DC_Imagine Wrote: [ -> ]Did somebody try to just solder some resistors in line with the IR LEDs or something like that?

I think so. It seemed to work, but I don't know how much it affects the temperature.