Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Donkey Kong Country Returns Freeze
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am sorry if this had to reported in the bugtracker or if this is the wrong section to post an issue, I actually never reported a bug before.

Donkey Kong Country Returns
NTSC-U, USA, SF8E01
Tested as Single player
Latest development build used: 4.0-9392.
Confirmed working on 4.0-9267. Freezes since 4.0-9269.

So far the issue only occured in World 1-5 Canopy Cannons. I am still on World 1, so I do not know if this issue occurs on later levels. No AR / Gecko codes were used. When collecting the puzzle piece in the 30 seconds minigame (where you have to collect all banana's and coins by shooting through barrels) or when completing the level through the finish barrel. Donkey Kong performs a victory animation scene after the minigame and completing the level, at the end of that animation scene (which shows your obtained collectables) the game freezes.

It is expected that a translation back to the stage or stage selection is preformed, which happens through another animation. This screen translation animation does not occur and the game freezes instead. No settings were changed while testing several builds. The freezing issue still occurs on the latest development build. I can confirm that 4.0-9267 works without this issue. Since 4.0-9269 and past the freeze occurs.

Screenshot in the spoiler showing the exact point of the freeze during collecting the puzzle piece from the minigame in World 1-5.
Spoiler:
EDIT1: The issue must have started somewhere between 4.0-9257 and 9277. Still trying locate the exact build.
EDIT2: The freeze occurs since 4.0-9269. 4.0-9267 was the last build that worked without the freezing issue. 4.0-9269 seems to have changed: "Use CoreTiming for MemoryWatcher."
Thank you for reporting this. I've heard things from someone else about DKCR freezing during a transition, but I wasn't sure if it was a real issue. That you're reporting it too, and that you have bisected it, gives the issue more credibility.

Reporting this in the forums is totally fine, but since it seems important, could you make an issue report on the bug tracker too? https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/projects/emulator
Ok, I made an issue report on the bugtracker.

=Ronin=

(05-25-2016, 10:58 PM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I made an issue report on the bugtracker.

Hi, I'm not experiencing the same issue as you and I'm using Dolphin 4.0-9327.
I went to 1-5, did the puzzle piece mini game and completed the level multiple times with no problems.

The settings I'm using are direct3d 12, 1920x1080, stretch to window, use fullscreen, 3x native resolution, 16x anisotropic filtering and I have vsync and triple buffering forced through nvidia control panel (not enabled in dolphin). Everything else is the default setting.

I hope this helps you track down the problem.
It's a savestate issue. Making a savestate at particular points, bad things happen right now. It's a regression so it kind of has to be fixed.
Tested with the latest version 4.0-9408. I can confirm the freezing issue is fixed. My thanks for the developers Smile.
You saved us a lot of trouble by discovering this bug. Our thanks goes to you.