Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Important Question about Textures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm currently dumping RE4 (GC, ID:G4BP08) textures and I'm almost done, but the game dumps almost every texture 3 times.
1 normal named one and then mip1 and mip2 and sometimes even mip. Which are mipaps I presume?
My question is do I really need them if I want to make custom textures. Because I've tested a couple of custom textures and I didn't see any difference
when I moved far away or near a texture. And they are also all the exact same size and size, I've read a bit on the wiki and it says that mipmaps are supposed to be increasingly
becoming smaller than the normal texture. Do I really need them? And also, I know that there is no real limit on texture resolutions, but should I keep the size at default for my custom textures or can I safely make them twice as big?
It's usually a good idea to increase the resolution, but by a fixed integer fraction. AFAIK 2 or 4 is often used, too big textures just fill up the RAM.

Are you sure this mipmaps have the same resolution? Don't look at the filename, the filename is based on the original size, not on the custom size nor mipmap size. Most games uses mipmaps for better filtering, so just create the big texture, and scale it automatically down to 1x1. Some games however uses it for LOD effects, but here it's very difficult to create custom textures :/

By the way, please also read https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...tures-info -- there are lots of good informations in it.
There's a thread somewhere on the forums where someone's made a tool to generate mipmaps for a custom texture pack where they don't exist already, so that could save you manually resizing everything.
(05-23-2016, 09:49 PM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]There's a thread somewhere on the forums where someone's made a tool to generate mipmaps for a custom texture pack where they don't exist already, so that could save you manually resizing everything.

Do you possibly can remember in which thread section I can find that?
(05-23-2016, 09:10 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]It's usually a good idea to increase the resolution, but by a fixed integer fraction. AFAIK 2 or 4 is often used, too big textures just fill up the RAM.

Are you sure this mipmaps have the same resolution? Don't look at the filename, the filename is based on the original size, not on the custom size nor mipmap size. Most games uses mipmaps for better filtering, so just create the big texture, and scale it automatically down to 1x1. Some games however uses it for LOD effects, but here it's very difficult to create custom textures :/

By the way, please also read https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...tures-info -- there are lots of good informations in it.

Yup, I'm sure. Hovered over the files and all have the same resolution. Here, a picture as example, with the main one and mip5. They're 100% the same. Same size, same everything.
And thanks, I'll be sure to check the custom texture info thread out.
I'll probably as you said, go with editing the main texture only (and see how the game handles it) and making it times 2 the default size. Many thanks, mate.
(05-23-2016, 11:59 PM)nomorevideos Wrote: [ -> ]Do you possibly can remember in which thread section I can find that?
It's linked within the thread I've posted Wink

Which backend did you use to dump those textures? They must not have the same resolution, so this sounds like a bug. As dumping is handled within the video backends, this may affect it.
(05-24-2016, 01:59 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]It's linked within the thread I've posted Wink

Which backend did you use to dump those textures? They must not have the same resolution, so this sounds like a bug. As dumping is handled within the video backends, this may affect it.

Oh. :p
And uh, backend was Direct3D11. But as I said, I played/tested some custom textures a couple of days ago with only the main texture being replaced and I had 0 problems with it.
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/b...he.cpp#L46

So please use OpenGL for texture dumping.
nomorevideos Wrote:I'm currently dumping RE4 (GC, ID:G4BP08) textures and I'm almost done, but the game dumps almost every texture 3 times.

nomorevideos Wrote:Oh. :p
And uh, backend was Direct3D11. But as I said, I played/tested some custom textures a couple of days ago with only the main texture being replaced and I had 0 problems with it.

Um, what version of Dolphin are you doing this dumping in?
(05-24-2016, 09:47 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Um, what version of Dolphin are you doing this dumping in?
This bug is still in the current development builds...
Pages: 1 2